yconic - Look at this salary report for business unis
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Look at this salary report for business unis

A photo of asian123 asian123
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Degree=Bachelor_of_Commerce_%28BCom%29/Salary/by_School

this isnt true, right?

im asking since mcgill is my first choice and ive already been accpeted, and it says that it has one of the lowest avg. salaries
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
on another site I read that McGill has a salary that's in the top 4, with Ivey being the highest, then Queen's U of t, and then Mcgill (Schulich and UBC were close behind).

Remember that it's an average! Some people can come out with salaries well into the 6 figures and some can get less than the average:) Mcgill is a great school congrats!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Only 330 individuals were surveyed, so that may not be a particularly accurate representation. If the salary you will make concerns you, I'm pretty sure I read that McGill graduates make approximately 40k as an average starting salary. Certainly, if that is something that deeply concerns you, McGill probably isn't the best choice and you should consider Queen's or Ivey - both have significantly higher average starting salaries.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Salary reports are a very bad representation of a school's quality. Anyone who legitmately uses salary reports as a basis for comparison of universities clearly isn't confident enough in their own abilities to be above average and to rise above the rest. People shouldn't attend a university program with the expectation of a yearly salary $2000 higher than another school's graduate.

People like this would probably end up working their entire lives for someone else - always an employee rather then an owner of some sort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alexkesz Alexkesz

@speedy48 wrote
Some people can come out with salaries well into the 6 figures

LOL really well into six figures? get you facts straight. the highest salary that someone who graduated in 2010 from Ivey was 92K WITH A SIGNING BONUS. people have unrealistic expectations around here of how much they are going to make
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48

@Alexkesz wrote

@speedy48 wrote

LOL really well into six figures? get you facts straight. the highest salary that someone who graduated in 2010 from Ivey was 92K WITH A SIGNING BONUS. people have unrealistic expectations around here of how much they are going to make

LOL sorry buddy but I kinda do have my facts straight. I personally know that my brother went into investment banking and from schulich (lower reputation of having a higher starting salary than ivey students) with a starting salary into the early 6 figures.

You can beat average if you're willing to be the best you can be. period.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@Alexkesz wrote

@speedy48 wrote

Many business hopefuls have an unrealistic idea of their careers. That said, those starting in investment banking can easily bank six digits in right out of grad. While their actual salary may be around 60k, their end of the year bonus can be as much as 2-3 times their salary and it's no unheard of for recent grads to make over 100k.

That said...thinking anyone but the top of the class - or even worse, accountants - make anywhere near that is delusional.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
I agree.. People have unrealistic expectations... The average Canadian FAMILY* earns 60k/year... single person earns 30k. The fact that you only have an undergrad and are earning ~50k on average (this is without bonuses) is pretty good. The highest from McGill was 89k or something like that...

Med School Graduates earn 40k during residency... Don't complain! :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15
That's based on a sample size of 332.... self report bias anybody?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Idk why but Payscale always has the wierdest numbers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@waazup wrote
Idk why but Payscale always has the weirdest numbers.

I second that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Dude, its what you do with your degree, not where you get it. You shouldn't base your choice on some silly numbers that don't seem very reliable. If you are capable to get a good job, then the high salaries will come.

Going to a high end school just gives you a larger opportunity to get those higher paying salaries but its all on yourself; many people from ''lower'' tier schools can find jobs making large amounts of money. It is all relative to what you do with your degree and not what everybody else does with it. Don't worry about what the ''median'' is and worry about what you will do with your degree to land you that well paying job.

Well, at least that's my two cents.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote
Dude, its what you do with your degree, not where you get it. You shouldn't base your choice on some silly numbers that don't seem very reliable. If you are capable to get a good job, then the high salaries will come.

Going to a high end school just gives you a larger opportunity to get those higher paying salaries but its all on yourself; many people from ''lower'' tier schools can find jobs making large amounts of money. It is all relative to what you do with your degree and not what everybody else does with it. Don't worry about what the ''median'' is and worry about what you will do with your degree to land you that well paying job.

Well, at least that's my two cents.

thanks for the good tips, and yea i dont really care to much about starting salaries. This is why i have mcgill as my first choice, and not Queens or Ivey that have higher starting salaries, even though im confident that i can get accepted to them.

I just randomly found this report, and was like WTF, how does mcgill have a lower avg salary than saskatchewan or alberta?!

Also, which rez do u live in at mcgill.

I reaaaaaly want to go to carrefour or new rez, but i guess my chances are low because of the lottery system, and i dont have a scholarship
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have a single room at New Rez :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote
I have a single room at New Rez :)

good job on getting a scholarship!

also, how popular is Carrefour? its my frist choice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I honestly dont know... most people like it there so i guess its pretty popular. Honestly though, all the rez's are pretty sweet! communal bathrooms arent THAT bad. I visit my friends all the time and its not a problem using them haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0