yconic - LORAN Interviews
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

LORAN Interviews

A photo of AlexC2010 AlexC2010
Hey guys!

Has anyone heard from the LORAN committee if they have a regional interview or not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of puppyluv363 puppyluv363
Nope, not yet :) Have you?

And what region did you apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EgyCanadian EgyCanadian
I have not received mine yet. But I applied as direct pool, doesn't that mean I get informed later?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Have't received any word yet. I believe direct pool applications are contacted late November/early December.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Austeane Austeane
I am sponsored and haven't heard word yet. I am gone from the 20th to the 27th though so if I get an interview I hope it is ones on the third!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noony99 noony99
How are they contacting us? Phone or email?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It should be via email with your school's contact CC'd. If the email bounces, then they call applicants. Any word yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of sarahl23 sarahl23
I got mine today via e-mail. I live in Ottawa and my region's interview is on December 3rd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations! Do you remember approximately when you received the email? I guess its all over for us folks who haven't heard anything :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahl23 sarahl23
Thank You! I received the e-mail at 10:50 this morning. Reading from the Loran Facebook page, some regions (such as Alberta) have yet to notify their region's semi-finalists. Depending on where you are, you've still got a shot (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That actually gives me some hope! Thanks a lot!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smaryschuk smaryschuk
I'm in BC and still haven't heard anything...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MattyRob MattyRob
I heard from the LORAN Committee via e-mail on Friday the 11th. I'm in North Bay ON, going to regional interview in Sudbury on the 26th! I hope that those of you waiting for answers hear back from them soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jtholle jtholle
we are in alberta and have heard nothing- anyone else from Alberta area??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Anyone hear anything from BC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackkrentz jackkrentz
I heard from them yesterday at noon. I got an inverview on December 3rd in Ottawa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackkrentz jackkrentz
does anyone know the dress code? Is a shirt and tie enough? Should I show up in a suit?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of puppyluv363 puppyluv363
Everyone has been notified now except for anyone in Vancouver.. so yeah, if you haven't heard anything guess its over :( anyway, good luck applying to other scholarships!

if you don't believe me, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/loranaward?sk=wall

Oh well, better luck next time :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BevnBC BevnBC
Not Yet - Sent application to Victoria.

I'm wondering if the facebook Loran comment "We have now invited sponsored applicants for interview in all areas except Vancouver. Sponsored applicants in the Vancouver area will be invited no later than next Monday, 21 November." includes Vancouver Island applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christi88 christi88
Hello Forumers!

The SA Team noticed this thread regarding LORAN interviews, and we happen to have a great article in The Stacks written by a LORAN Laureate. The article contains great tips for both in person and telephone interviews! For example:

"Tips for Scholarship Interviews

1. Be yourself
The following tips MUST NOT contradict this one.

6. Body language
Your body language says a lot about you. Try not to show signs of nervousness. While getting questions fired at you that you have no answer to, ask the judges to clarify the question, or lighten the mood with a joke regarding the question, to buy you some time. Laughter WILL relax both YOU and the JUDGES.

Sit straight when you face the judges, make eye contact, but don't stare them to death. Don't do any unnecessary movement (shows insecurity).

DON'T fold your arms.

8. Relax when you get an unexpected question
If you get a question like "what fruit would you be?" you should be smiling on the inside. Unexpected questions have no expected answer - meaning: you can't be wrong. My best advice is to use these opportunities to show your sense of humour while thinking up something you want the judges to know where you didn't have the opportunity to do so. After the laughter dies down a bit (trust me, they will laugh), you'll throw in your pitch."

..... For the rest of these tips, Click Here!

"Tips for telephone interviews

7. Have your application in your hand during the call
It doesn't hurt to have it around does it?

6. Chair....water...action!
30 minutes is quite some time, you don't want to be shifting around in your chair and have yourself distracted. Prepare some water, again, if you ever have a 30 mins continuous conversation...you'd know how it feels.

5(1/2). Tick-tock, on the clock, but the party don't stop
Have a timer ready; the interview is 30 minutes long, plus minus 3 mins. This way you know your progress in the interview.

5. V-v-v-v-v-oice
Since body-language is not applicable in a telephone interview, take full-advantage of delivering a clear voice. Remember to slow down if you find yourself speaking above average speed. And also...make sure your phone works properly.

4. "...and then she smashed a cream pie right in my face!"
How to make 30 mins go by faster? Tell your stories! This is one of the pluses of a telephone interview; since it is much longer, you'll have the opportunity to turn a "Question/Answer" interview into a conversation. Some interviewers will deliberately make conversations, but some won't. Doesn't matter who's on the other end of your phone interview, it is advantageous to you if you can add a bit of "personal touch" to the interview experience. You'll give your interviewer a better impression of your charming personality.

3. "I'm sorry, could you repeat the question?"
If you ever need to buy some time to think about a particular question...use this line. The context validates the question."

....For the top two telephone interview tips, Click Here!

Hope this is helpful!

- Studentawards Team
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of zmerali zmerali
so it says that direct pool applicants are notified in jan. is this true?
if so, this still leaves hope for us. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kettac kettac
I got notified thismorning that I was a semi-finalist, and have an interview Monday morning. I am also from the direct pool.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigal82 unigal82
Have all direct pool applicants been contacted yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joyous101 joyous101
it says on the application sheet that direct pool applicants will be notified jan 6... which is tomorrow. so hopefully it will all be clear by then. goodness the future is nerve-wracking!
Was this helpful? Yes 0