yconic - Low Chemistry Mark :( Applying for engineering.. Should I take Pskool?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Low Chemistry Mark :( Applying for engineering.. Should I take Pskool?

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
My only blemish on my record right now is my grade 12 chemistry mark, and I am thinking of taking private school. My marks from day school are as follows:

AdvFunctions...92(1st Sem)
English........86(1st Sem)
Calculus.......82(2nd Sem)
Physics........82(2nd Sem)
Chemistry......74---My chemistry teacher doesn't teach us in class, so I am essentially wasting my second period try to understand what my teacher says. (2nd Sem)
Other Course...96(2nd Sem)

As you can see, I have quite a hectic semester and it does not at all reflect my first semester marks, which was my goal entering second semester. This is evident with my Adv Func to Calculus marks; Normally I would ace math and everything but stupid chemistry wastes a total of almost 4 hours of my time after school because I am trying to learn and understand what my teacher had just taught. And since we started chemistry from Energy Changes and Reactions(Not Orgo, or atomic theories), I was really lost. Always catching up.

So far the universities I am waiting on are UofT, Waterloo and Mac.

The universities I got into are: Ryerson, UOIT, and Western.

Those marks are going to be the ones on OUAC, and there is no changing chemistry, unless I take Private school, which I am honestly considering.

Why? To get out of the chemistry class that I am wasting an hour of my day each day with learning absolutely nothing. I chose to take it in day school so I can do the labs, and learn, and learn at a slower pace and be taught by a day school teacher. However, my teacher doesn't teach, and the I'm lost during the labs so I see this course as a waste of my time even though I need it as my TOP 6.

Pros: I get out of that chem class. I can do my Phys and Calc hmwk during the period that I would have used to have chemistry. That will allow me to focus on Calc and Phys. I'll actually be able to learn it rather then worry about university marks. I won't have to worry about chemistry at school.
Cons: It costs about $400 I believe. People say I won't learn from it, I counter that argument with the fact that I learn nothing from day school.

What do you all think I should do? Do you think I am making a bad decision? I am really stressed out with everything. This wasn't how it was planned to be lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Isn't it too late to start private school now? How long does it take to finish one course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Apparently it is not too late, they said a mid-term mark is possible. I would just have to catch up and it wouldn't be a problem since I have been taking it in day school. We've done 4 chapters in day school. The Private school has only finished up to 2 chapters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of SuccessIsLife SuccessIsLife
One thing I'll tell you, is stay in the chem class and maintain if you could an 75%, you will get into UT they just take a while to answer back, my friends have all applied to to UT and a lot of them aren't getting responses. Do not worry, just focus on maintaining your Chem mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The other part to all of this is My schedules is as follows:

1st period-Lunch
2nd Period- Calculus
3rd Period- Physics
4th-Period- Chemistry-
5th Period- Tech Design

I have no breaks in between courses, and I starve everyday, although I am almost used to it now. I think my school gives people eating disorders with their messed up lunch periods for each student. If I drop Chem I can have 4th Lunch

The other part is during exam times, 3rd period and 4th period are on the same day. That means my physics and chemistry exam will be on the same day.

And maintaining a 75% will be hard since we are going to be doing equilibrium and electrochem second half of this sem. Two tough units apparently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@sascer520 wrote
My only blemish on my record right now is my grade 12 chemistry mark, and I am thinking of taking private school. My marks from day school are as follows:

AdvFunctions...92(1st Sem)
English........86(1st Sem)
Calculus.......82(2nd Sem)
Physics........82(2nd Sem)
Chemistry......74---My chemistry teacher doesn't teach us in class, so I am essentially wasting my second period try to understand what my teacher says. (2nd Sem)
Other Course...96(2nd Sem)

As you can see, I have quite a hectic semester and it does not at all reflect my first semester marks, which was my goal entering second semester. This is evident with my Adv Func to Calculus marks; Normally I would ace math and everything but stupid chemistry wastes a total of almost 4 hours of my time after school because I am trying to learn and understand what my teacher had just taught. And since we started chemistry from Energy Changes and Reactions(Not Orgo, or atomic theories), I was really lost. Always catching up.

So far the universities I am waiting on are UofT, Waterloo and Mac.

The universities I got into are: Ryerson, UOIT, and Western.

Those marks are going to be the ones on OUAC, and there is no changing chemistry, unless I take Private school, which I am honestly considering.

Why? To get out of the chemistry class that I am wasting an hour of my day each day with learning absolutely nothing. I chose to take it in day school so I can do the labs, and learn, and learn at a slower pace and be taught by a day school teacher. However, my teacher doesn't teach, and the I'm lost during the labs so I see this course as a waste of my time even though I need it as my TOP 6.

Pros: I get out of that chem class. I can do my Phys and Calc hmwk during the period that I would have used to have chemistry. That will allow me to focus on Calc and Phys. I'll actually be able to learn it rather then worry about university marks. I won't have to worry about chemistry at school.
Cons: It costs about $400 I believe. People say I won't learn from it, I counter that argument with the fact that I learn nothing from day school.

What do you all think I should do? Do you think I am making a bad decision? I am really stressed out with everything. This wasn't how it was planned to be lol.

You probably won't get into Waterloo and maybe not U of T. You can get into Mac. Where do you want to go? Ill be honest. You can private school it. I actually encourage it if your trying to get into one specific program and trying hard but not getting that average you want. But in the case of engineering, kids I know who went to U of T and Loo eng. with mid-high 90 averages are mostly failing or struggling to pass. Do you want to be one of those kids, when your already struggling in high school courses? UOIT,Ryerson and Western are great choices for eng.
Was this helpful? Yes 0