yconic - Low mark in english?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Low mark in english?

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Hi everyone,

Should I still apply to Queen's Commerce even if my english mark is slightly below 80% (frankly I don't know what my mark will be, but I doubt it'll be an 80%)?

My admission average will be around 89-90 and I have good EC's. I doubt I'll get in, but will they even consider me as a candidate if my english mark is below their english requirement?
Thanks! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
If the requirement is 80 and ur below they wont accept you.

The question is how bad do u want into QC? Wouldn't want to get an 81 in english and hate wondering whether u would've got into ur dream school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
You should talk to your English teacher, I mean if your mark is 78 79, try to convince her/him to bump it up to 80%. Lots of people have done these kind of things, including myself.(I convinced my teacher to manually round up my mark 97.5→97 to→98)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Thank you for your quick replies. :)

@thecookiemonster- I do like Queen's Commerce...I know I probably don't have a great chance so it's more of a "strive for" school. It's not exactly my dream school but it would be amazing to get accepted and I would accept it right away.

@ilikeyork- I hope my mark will around high 70s (77,78 or 79). I don't know if I can ask my teacher to bump up my mark..but I will try. But if my mark ends up being 78, will Queen's commerce still consider me?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@chiqua99 wrote
Thank you for your quick replies. :)

@thecookiemonster- I do like Queen's Commerce...I know I probably don't have a great chance so it's more of a "strive for" school. It's not exactly my dream school but it would be amazing to get accepted and I would accept it right away.

@ilikeyork- I hope my mark will around high 70s (77,78 or 79). I don't know if I can ask my teacher to bump up my mark..but I will try. But if my mark ends up being 78, will Queen's commerce still consider me?

Try to get it up to 79, and don't just ASK her, TALk with her, tell her how important this is to you, show him/her your improvements and convince her!
(And I heard that you can retake english in the summer and get it to 80+, queens will reserve a spot for you, I'm not sure so you should call them and see if this is allowed)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ndrwzheng ndrwzheng
Does Queen's not allow any students who achieve below an 80 in courses? Because honestly, when it comes to your overall average, having a 78 vs an 80 in English won't make that much of a difference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@ilikeyork wrote
You should talk to your English teacher, I mean if your mark is 78 79, try to convince her/him to bump it up to 80%. Lots of people have done these kind of things, including myself.(I convinced my teacher to manually round up my mark 97.5→97 to→98)

What the flip? This is possible? :scratch:

@ndrwzheng wrote
Does Queen's not allow any students who achieve below an 80 in courses? Because honestly, when it comes to your overall average, having a 78 vs an 80 in English won't make that much of a difference.

This is what I would like to find out as well.

Do they not consider you if your English average is below 80% once the marks are submitted February? Or will they give you a conditional offer, giving you an opportunity to pull your mark up to 80% after June.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101
Talk to your teacher ASAP and see if you can do a bonus assignment or get your mark bumped. I think depending on your application, they might extend you an offer conditional upon you getting above an 80 in English in summer school. However the rest of your application would have to be strong.

Seriously though instead of asking on here it's always faster and more efficient to call commerce admissions and ask them directly!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@unigirl123101 wrote
Talk to your teacher ASAP and see if you can do a bonus assignment or get your mark bumped. I think depending on your application, they might extend you an offer conditional upon you getting above an 80 in English in summer school. However the rest of your application would have to be strong.

Seriously though instead of asking on here it's always faster and more efficient to call commerce admissions and ask them directly!

Completely unfair! I spoke with my own English teacher and she relies 100% on our factual marks which are submitted in the report card software. You would think after 20+ years, she would develop a more merciful "professional judgment" and bump us up or give our class extra assignments.

What's the fun in calling admissions directly? Why do less work when you can do more? :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0