yconic - Low Marks...will it affect my acceptance to utsc?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Low Marks...will it affect my acceptance to utsc?

A photo of vsgeorge1994 vsgeorge1994

@vsgeorge1994 wrote
I'm not doing well in Chemistry or math and im getting a really low mark. My other marks are all above 80 though. Will this affect my admission to utsc because they only take your top 6 marks including english. Seeing my two low marks along with my other high marks...will that affect my admission or my chance of getting an acceptance?

I applied to neurosci at utsc btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of vsgeorge1994 vsgeorge1994

@vsgeorge1994 wrote
I'm not doing well in Chemistry or math and im getting a really low mark. My other marks are all above 80 though. Will this affect my admission to utsc because they only take your top 6 marks including english. Seeing my two low marks along with my other high marks...will that affect my admission or my chance of getting an acceptance?

I applied to neurosci at utsc btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yifanzhang yifanzhang
Considering that it's a faculty of science program, the prerequisites probably included the chem and the math (unless it was data management). Meaning that they MUST count towards your top six. Go to their website and see if they have minima for the science courses. If they do not, then doing well in your other classes will balance out the low marks. If they do however, you must reach these minima. Did you take both physics and bio? If you did, then they can count as the two of the three required sciences and your chem won't have to count.

Hope this helped, and I wish you luck with getting into UT!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid
I think as long as you pass the required courses, and you have a strong top 6 u/m average then you are a shoe in! But, please take the time to read what I've typed below:

I know this is going to sound terrible, and very mean, but I'm only saying this to protect you (and your money!). UT as I'm sure you know is one of the most prestigious schools in Canada. UT, along with UBC and McGill in my opinion are the Ivy League schools of Canada, and are very challenging, but very rewarding. Now, for sciences at UBC and McGill, to be considered you need at least high 80's and above. Since UT can accommodate so many students their cutoffs are much lower, BUT this doesn't change how difficult the school is. If you're struggling getting into the school you might find that in first year it will be extremely challenging (I have had friends with averages in the mid 80's go to the school and really dislike their time there). Now, if you're willing to work for hours at end, and sometimes go sleepless then you can be very successful at UT, without a doubt. However, you might want to consider going to a school that is less competitive... Because UT first year drop out rate is very high :!: I hope you do get in to UT since you want to go, and I hope things work out for you in the end... If UT cared more about their first year students then I think their average would be high 80's... But some people say they're in it for the money.

GOOD LUCK!
Was this helpful? Yes 0