yconic - Mac Artsci vs UofT Life sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Artsci vs UofT Life sci

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey! I'm having difficulty figuring out what program to accept, so if anyone can offer any advice at all, that would be really cool. :) My favourite two options as of now are McMaster Arts & Science and UofT Life Science (Vic College).

So, here's the deal: I'm passionate about both humanities (esp. Cold War history) and science (esp. molecular genetics and immunology). After my undergrad, I could apply to grad school (probably science, but history is a strong possibility), and I'll probably apply to med school. I really don't know, so my biggest concern is keeping my options open.

UofT seems to offer a very nice selection of courses in history, and a lovely peace/conflict major! I'll be honest: I'm in love with those courses, although the specializations for science are also extremely important to me. The huge turn off, however, is UofT's reputation for tough marking as well as their supposedly nonexistent sense of community. (Can any UTSG life sci students shed some light and say if either things are true?)

Artsci looks like it won't allow me to specialize or take a double major, but the program requirements look pretty interesting in any case. I think the main draw for artsci is probably its community and small program size, which seem amazing to me! I'm mostly worried about being able to apply to grad schools with this program...

Sorry about the essay, haha.

Anyway, here are my other options, in case one of them fits my needs more:

McGill Life Sci
McGill Arts & Science
McMaster Life Sci
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You can do a combined honours degree in artsci: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/current/pg1183.html

That way you are essentially doudble majoring in artsci and a science of your choice (molecular biology and genetics is on the list).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ecila Ecila
I have the same problem as you :s
kind of want to go to U of T but the hard marking is drawing me back.
need marks for med or grad...

aah life is full of tough choices!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@maokitty wrote
Hey! I'm having difficulty figuring out what program to accept, so if anyone can offer any advice at all, that would be really cool. :) My favourite two options as of now are McMaster Arts & Science and UofT Life Science (Vic College).

So, here's the deal: I'm passionate about both humanities (esp. Cold War history) and science (esp. molecular genetics and immunology). After my undergrad, I could apply to grad school (probably science, but history is a strong possibility), and I'll probably apply to med school. I really don't know, so my biggest concern is keeping my options open.

UofT seems to offer a very nice selection of courses in history, and a lovely peace/conflict major! I'll be honest: I'm in love with those courses, although the specializations for science are also extremely important to me. The huge turn off, however, is UofT's reputation for tough marking as well as their supposedly nonexistent sense of community. (Can any UTSG life sci students shed some light and say if either things are true?)

Artsci looks like it won't allow me to specialize or take a double major, but the program requirements look pretty interesting in any case. I think the main draw for artsci is probably its community and small program size, which seem amazing to me! I'm mostly worried about being able to apply to grad schools with this program...

Sorry about the essay, haha.

Anyway, here are my other options, in case one of them fits my needs more:

McGill Life Sci
McGill Arts & Science
McMaster Life Sci

I would say go to McMaster ArtsSci. That program was specifically designed for students like you who want to experience both arts and science. U of T Lifesci is for people who want to go into med school, pharmaceuticals, etc. ArtsSci sounds perfect for you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jammendoza jammendoza
I was in a very similar situation last year, and chose ArtSci because of the small program size. It was a great decision for me, and I couldn't be happier about it.
If you'd like to do a combined honours in ArtSci, I would suggest you take a close look at the requirements for the combination you're interested in. A lot of the science combinations offer very few elective spaces outside of combination requirements and ArtSci requirements, so you may not be able to take very many Humanities/Soc Sci electives without overloading, summer-schooling, or taking a fifth year. A lot of artscis go to med school, law school, and various other graduate programs, with or without combining (depending on what they're doing).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Godzilla Godzilla
Hey maokitty (can I call you Mao for short?),
I'm currently enrolled in Mac ArtSci and I love it!
That being said, your choice depends on whether or not you want to
a) Really focus on History and Molecular Magick (a term I think you should adopt) or
b) Take a whole mess of subjects (I'm sure you've checked out our program's reqs and whatnot)

Coming in to university I was thinking I wanted to study Physics and English Writing/Lit, and so I had also (in addition to Mac ArtSci) applied to McGill Arts and Science.

McGill Arts and Science lets you get that double major in two subjects you love (and live in Montreal as a student)
ArtSci lets you poke around and take new interesting things (not that you couldn't also take new interesting things at UofT of McGill or whatever else)

Personally, I was veryvery set on going to McGill Arts and Science until I really thought about my choice hard for a couple weeks, and then ArtSci's small program size won me over.
Now that I'm here, I also see other benefits to Mac ArtSci and am sosososo happy I chose it!!

I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go, I would have certainly been happy in Montreal, but those are really the main points you should reflect on, in my personal opinion.

Re Tough Grading at UofT: I'm not sure I fully understand why this would impact your choice, as to me, it seems the quality and enjoyment of your undergraduate education is more important than the grades. However, I understand that may not be the case with you.

I'm sure I don't have to say this but: don't regret anything about this choice! All the programs you are considering are fantastic and you're going to be happy and well-learned wherever you go!!

I'm excited for your future!

All my best,
Godzilla

P.S. If you want some more Godzilla-info-funtimes about Mac ArtSci, check out the bottom of this http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=11698 thread if you haven't already!
Was this helpful? Yes 0