yconic - Mac Engineering vs UofT Computer Science - Need Advice
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Engineering vs UofT Computer Science - Need Advice

A photo of premachb premachb
Hey Guys

Let me just introduce my topic by saying that I currently have acceptance to Mac Engineering and I'm still waiting on UofT Computer Science, I'm talking hypothetical here.

I've always wanted to make software applications and such, that's why I applied to UofT computer science. I applied to Mac engineering as a sort of side thing and wasn't really planning on it. Until yesterday, when I actually started looking at Mac Engineering.

I would do Software Stream once i get to Level II of Mac engineering. I saw the management option which really changed things for me. I've always wanted to do business with something and my true career aspirations would eventually be leading projects, being a senior software engineer/ developer. I just wanted to know some things to help my pros/cons list (Yes, I am making a pros/cons list).

1. Which is better in the IT industry, a BSc in Computer Science from UofT or a B.Eng.Mgt from McMaster? I would do Software Stream at McMaster with Management

2. Is it true that if i do the Management Engineering Program at McMaster, that I will get 1 year towards my MBA?

3. This brings upon my next question? Is an MBA significant in the IT industry? Will it make me more likely to land senior positions?

4. Also, Is it true that McMaster students get priority into the MBA program? How reputable is it?

5. Would you guys say the Faculty of Engineering at McMaster is more reputable then the Department of Computer Science at UofT or other way? What i mean by this is which is more internationally renowned in its respect.

6. Looking at the courses, it seems that UofT Computer Science students take almost the same courses as Software Engineering Stream at McMaster, would you say this true?

7. Which has a better student life?

8. Edit: I might add more questions, here's another one. Would you say the co-op at McMaster is useful, has anybody here ever gone through it, please tell me your experience. Is it easy to find jobs like at Waterloo?

Thank you for answering my questions in advance. I've had my mindset on UofT for the longest time, and now I'm really confused.

Edit: Also, I'm sorry for my atrocious grammar in this post. I'm literally just spilling what's in my brain right now. Haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of plato plato

@premachb wrote
Hey Guys

Let me just introduce my topic by saying that I currently have acceptance to Mac Engineering and I'm still waiting on UofT Computer Science, I'm talking hypothetical here.

I've always wanted to make software applications and such, that's why I applied to UofT computer science. I applied to Mac engineering as a sort of side thing and wasn't really planning on it. Until yesterday, when I actually started looking at Mac Engineering.

I would do Software Stream once i get to Level II of Mac engineering. I saw the management option which really changed things for me. I've always wanted to do business with something and my true career aspirations would eventually be leading projects, being a senior software engineer/ developer. I just wanted to know some things to help my pros/cons list (Yes, I am making a pros/cons list).

1. Which is better in the IT industry, a BSc in Computer Science from UofT or a B.Eng.Mgt from McMaster? I would do Software Stream at McMaster with Management

2. Is it true that if i do the Management Engineering Program at McMaster, that I will get 1 year towards my MBA?

3. This brings upon my next question? Is an MBA significant in the IT industry? Will it make me more likely to land senior positions?

4. Also, Is it true that McMaster students get priority into the MBA program? How reputable is it?

5. Would you guys say the Faculty of Engineering at McMaster is more reputable then the Department of Computer Science at UofT or other way? What i mean by this is which is more internationally renowned in its respect.

6. Looking at the courses, it seems that UofT Computer Science students take almost the same courses as Software Engineering Stream at McMaster, would you say this true?

8. Edit: I might add more questions, here's another one. Would you say the co-op at McMaster is useful, has anybody here ever gone through it, please tell me your experience. Is it easy to find jobs like at Waterloo?

Thank you for answering my questions in advance. I've had my mindset on UofT for the longest time, and now I'm really confused.

Edit: Also, I'm sorry for my atrocious grammar in this post. I'm literally just spilling what's in my brain right now. Haha

1. Depends what you want to do in IT. Either route can land you leading IT projects. Generally, we have Team Leaders, who manage people and projects. There are various types of project leaders. An overall project lead, often with a business lead(your client), and a technical lead (senior developer), along with a project sponsor (director/manager). There is also project management, check out PMP.

2. No
3. Only at the manager/director/exec level
4. Priority in which MBA program? You can get an MBA from most universities, some are harder to gain admission
5. U of T faculty over mac
6. Course descriptions can be misleading. Google the course codes and find and compare syllabus if possible.
7. Both are good. I prefer UT
8. No knowledge of coop at mac

Hope this helps
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb

@plato wrote

4. Priority in which MBA program? You can get an MBA from most universities, some are harder to gain admission

Sorry, I meant McMasters MBA Program, I was hearing that it's really good, would you say this is true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@premachb wrote

@plato wrote

Sorry, I meant McMasters MBA Program, I was hearing that it's really good, would you say this is true?

Graduate schools tend to give some preference to their own undergrads. So if you'd like to get into the mac mba program, then mac undergrad is good.

Honestly, I've never heard anything amazing regarding mac's mba program.

Some good MBA schools
Queens
Sculich
Rotman
Ivey
McGill
Laurier
Concordia

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy

@premachb wrote
Hey Guys

plato has no clue what he is talking about ive looked at the engineering and management program including accelerated mba for 3 years and i know whats good.
If you want reputation and prestige go UofT. If you live in toronto its silly to come to hamilton. IF you get into the management option second year at the end of your 5 year program you have the possibility of getting admitted to the accelerated mba program which requires 8 months to complete since by when you graduate with your bachelors in eng and management you would already have completed i think 15 credits or courses not sure check the mac booklet or website http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/engandmgt/accelerated.html
thats the website for accelerated mba.
student life not sure UofT is full of antisocial nerds like waterloo mac is tough but i would say its a smaller community than toronto so it may be a better student life.
Courses and stuff not sure i havent looked in depth for the uoft computer science courses. But again it should be similar.

Was this helpful? Yes 0