yconic - Mac Health Sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Health Sci

A photo of ilovesushi ilovesushi
[size=6][/size]

1) If i get the 90 average requirement, is consideration solely based on the supp app?
2) Is it a good idea to include EC's sneakishly within your essay answers, or are they looking for a more philosophical answer from me?

3) If i choose not to specialize (just stay with the reg health sci) will that fill the requirements to get into dental school? If not (ill have to take the prereqs as electives) so will i still have room to do my minor in french? or is it smarter to specialize into biomed.. ? my worry is the work load and course difficulty

any advice from previous/current mac health sci students is greatly appreciated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
1) Like person above me said, unless ur tied with someone bc of ur sub
2) Whatever makes it the best essay
3) No clue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
1. Yes unless a tiebreaker is needed

2. Adding in irrelevant references to ECs for the sake of adding them - bad. Including an anecdote that's relevant to the question and just happens to be an experience you obtained from volunteering - fine.

3. What are the requirements for dental school? I had plenty of elective space to pursue both a minor (in psych) and fulfill my vet school prereqs (had to use some elective space to complete all 8 of them). The global health and biomed specializations have more mandatory courses (and therefore less elective space) so I would not advise that if having enough electives is a worry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@ilovesushi wrote
[size=6][/size]

1) If i get the 90 average requirement, is consideration solely based on the supp app?
2) Is it a good idea to include EC's sneakishly within your essay answers, or are they looking for a more philosophical answer from me?

3) If i choose not to specialize (just stay with the reg health sci) will that fill the requirements to get into dental school? If not (ill have to take the prereqs as electives) so will i still have room to do my minor in french? or is it smarter to specialize into biomed.. ? my worry is the work load and course difficulty

any advice from previous/current mac health sci students is greatly appreciated :)

1. No it's based on both. It might be more than a 90 average required, too.
2. Always a good idea.
3. Be a medical school drop out! Haha just kidding. All you need is a bachelors degree in any subject from a recognized university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ronmovilla ronmovilla

@ilovesushi wrote
[size=6][/size]

I'm a current Health Sci student

1. Once you pass the 90 cut off, it's all fair game. Everything will be left up to the supplementary application. Only time your marks will be even considered is if a tie breaker is needed between two apps which were graded equally.

2. Honestly, you write what you WANT to write in your supplementary applications. I wrote mine last year the night before, because I knew that if I wrote it beforehand, id try to shape it to be the "perfect health sciences student." Don't try to do that. Write who you are, and what you really want out of this program. Don't just write meaningless things that you think the graders will like. It's extremely obvious when someone is lying about their passions.

3. I'm pretty sure even if you don't specialize you will be able to fill the requirements of dentistry. I'm only in first year, so it's hard for me to say haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@ilovesushi wrote
[size=6][/size]

Everything has basically been answered, but for your second question I just want to emphasize that you should write what you truly feel. Don't make up an answer you think the reader wants to hear. Your true character really does come across clearly when you write your supp app sincerely. These people have graded thousands of supp apps, so they can tell who's being honest and who's making stuff up. Basically, the best advice I can give is say what you truly believe, don't purposely add big words so you can sound smart, and don't worry about EC's, they don't really change much. As others said, if your ECs add meaning to your response, then go for it, if not, don't specifically mention it just for the sake of mentioning it.

P.S. for detailed info on acceptance and supp app marking, take a look at the MAC health sci 2012 Uni Supp App, I explained the process in detail in one of my posts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdemay2 sdemay2
I'm in my first year of Mac Heath sci and loving it :) I'm minoring in French, so it is definitely possible. You only need 24 credits for a minor, which is one course each semester. The work load is really good so far actually. I love having french to break up all the sciences.
And for the supp app.. the most useful thing I can say is to be yourself and make the most of the space you have. I added little bits of my personality so that they got a sense of who I was instead of just outlining facts. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hello guys! Do you guys know when to submit grades? is it before Feb 1st, the deadline?
sorry for my ignorance lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
You send in your transcript after you receive marks from first semester.
BTW, you'll have to make an actual account for me to reply to your message.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorGaga DoctorGaga
Quick quetsion regrading deadlines for applications. i know the deadline for the supp app is feb 1. and thing is, ive already graduated from high school but i came back for another year and am going back to school second semester (so im off for this first semester) and i believe im supposed to apply through ouac 105 (i live in ontario) but are there any other deadlines i should be aware of? if i have to send in transcripts on my own, whats the deadline for that? is it when i apply through ouac?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So, Andrew Do I Send my final 1st term mark? How many Gr 12. subjects am I supposed to send? 2 or 3?
Was this helpful? Yes 0