yconic - Mac Health Sci or Western Bio Med?? Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Health Sci or Western Bio Med?? Help!

A photo of nicoleviscek nicoleviscek
Hi all,

Just discovered this wonderful website and thought maybe someone could help me out.
I'm going into my Grade 12 year of high school this September, so it's almost time to pick the program and University I plan on attending.

My goal in the long run is Medical school, in the hopes of becoming a Gynecologist.
I'm looking at two programs at two different schools.. and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me..what will prepare me the most for medical school and help my chances of being accepted to medical school.

I'm looking at Western for Bio Medical Sciences or McMaster's Heath Sciences program.
I have been to the Western campus..which I find very beautiful and the environment very welcoming. I have yet to visit Mac...but plan on doing so in the coming months.

I have a few opinions on the matter, but not enough to narrow it down and start making a decision.

My grade 11 average was 92, but I had a lot of distractions that year. This year I'm hoping I can pull off a 95 average if I work hard enough.

I was hoping some of you could post your feedback!!

THANKS,
Nicole.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
50 replies

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

Trust me, I've heard how unbelievably competitive it is to be accepted into Mac Health Sci but I'm doing a ton of stuff on the side to help my chances.

Are you hoping for similar programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@fxoqxc wrote

@nicoleviscek wrote
Trust me, I've heard how unbelievably competitive it is to be accepted into Mac Health Sci but I'm doing a ton of stuff on the side to help my chances.

Are you hoping for similar programs?

just to put things into perspective, the chance of getting into health science is lower than getting into a canadian med school. and it's not like this isn't purely luck based either. it is.

and yeah, i'm going to western biomed if i don't get into health science. good luck ^^; buut yeah, if you do get a choice, i'd go with health science for sure.

Yeah wow, that's incredible. I hope you get in, good luck with your program!!
I've read on a different forum that at med school there are just as many Western bio med grads as there are Mac Health Sci, so basically if you put in the hard work..you'll make it happen. Good luck again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I know.. I've heard that too. I don't think there is any easy way to med school. My friend is in bio med at Western as well and I talked to her just after exams and she told me she felt she failed the Chem exam :|
I'm quite nervous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lookatme lookatme

@nicoleviscek wrote
I know.. I've heard that too. I don't think there is any easy way to med school. My friend is in bio med at Western as well and I talked to her just after exams and she told me she felt she failed the Chem exam :|
I'm quite nervous.

On the contrary, I hear good things about health science. Many say that Hsci is superrr easy, but that may be due to the calibre of students that get accepted into the program, whereas Western Biomed have lower standards? Well, I wouldn't know, because I never applied that program.

Anyway, I'm sure Western bellcurves if the average for the whole class was really 55%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Apply to both, worry about the decision when you get an acceptance into health sci. BTW, You can't really do 'side activities' to help your chances, just take a look at the supp app questions and put a lot of thought into them.

What in your opinion defines you as you?

Select a four letter word in the English language which should be preserved and explain why (no contractions).

Describe your most difficult experience in dealing with others and how you handled the situation.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=andrewk512]Apply to both, worry about the decision when you get an acceptance into health sci. BTW, You can't really do 'side activities' to help your chances, just take a look at the supp app questions and put a lot of thought into them.

What in your opinion defines you as you?

Select a four letter word in the English language which should be preserved and explain why (no contractions).

Describe your most difficult experience in dealing with others and how you handled the situation.

/quote]

Alright thanks for the feedback... and what do you mean by supp app questions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And what your saying is they take no account of volunteering, community involvement, etc???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nicoleviscek wrote
And what your saying is they take no account of volunteering, community involvement, etc???

I got accepted into Health Sci @ Mac and I never mentioned anything about my extra-curriculars in my supplementary application. Answer the questions with depth and let the readers know exactly who you are. You're not gonna get in if all you talk about is your ECs, but it's okay if you mention one or two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lookatme wrote

@nicoleviscek wrote

I got accepted into Health Sci @ Mac and I never mentioned anything about my extra-curriculars in my supplementary application. Answer the questions with depth and let the readers know exactly who you are. You're not gonna get in if all you talk about is your ECs, but it's okay if you mention one or two.

Alrighty thanks a lot
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you want to go to Med School, Health Sci should be your number one goal, the chances you getting in though regardless of how good you are is very small.

Other programs you should be looking into (In the order from best to worst in my opinion): McGill Life Science, Queens Life Science, Western Biomed, UofT life Science, McMaster Life Science.

You may want to consider UBC if you want to go really far or Waterloo because it has the co-op program and that along with a high GPA (Which isn't hard in UW) could potentially be better than all the above programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
That list makes no sense. McGill Life Sci will kill your GPA, and UofT shouldn't even be considered. McMaster, Queen's and Western are all solid choices. UBC should be on that list too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aeria Aeria
First of all research these programs by visiting the relevant websites. They are very different.

MacHealthSci:

-Lots of groupwork
-Lots of self-directed learning and discovery

WesternBiomed:

-Traditional lectures
-Less groupwork

and many more differences

They are very different programs. MacHealthSci should not be an automatic choice for any premed because what if you don't thrive with groupwork, self-directed learning and also being comfortable among the most keen students. Will keenness encourage you or scare/put you off? Do you like lectures or a combination of group leaning and lectures?

Imagine spending the rest 4 years of life in a program just because it is competitive.
MacHealthSci does not have any greater prestige in that no med school is going to give you an advantage simply because you came from there. Having said that something like 75% of med hopefuls (note that everyone is not a premed) get accepted so there's some debate as to the advantage it confers.

Anyway, as long as you are an exceptional, hardworking applicant you will be competitive for any med school. If you are not the above, you will not get in even if you go to Healthsci.It is you, not the program that's going to get you into med school.

Having said that, I encourage you to apply if it sounds good to you.Note that about 4000 people apply for 200 offers so that's a 5% chance of getting in!:cyclops:

This is less than your chances of getting into medical school. Note that a lot of the admissions is based on luck because of how your supp app is evaluated and how they like it.

Anyways, my second choice would undoubtedly be Western Biomed. Not just because of the quality of the program but also because no one that I know attending Western has regretted going to that school. So I would definitely have gone there. Note that Mac LifeSci is a very different program (too many people go to it thinking it is a good alternative to Healthsci) and I personally would pick Western Biomed over it anyday.

Good Luck!:bom:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Aeria wrote
First of all research these programs by visiting the relevant websites. They are very different.

MacHealthSci:

-Lots of groupwork
-Lots of self-directed learning and discovery

WesternBiomed:

-Traditional lectures
-Less groupwork

and many more differences

They are very different programs. MacHealthSci should not be an automatic choice for any premed because what if you don't thrive with groupwork, self-directed learning and also being comfortable among the most keen students. Will keenness encourage you or scare/put you off? Do you like lectures or a combination of group leaning and lectures?

Imagine spending the rest 4 years of life in a program just because it is competitive.
MacHealthSci does not have any greater prestige in that no med school is going to give you an advantage simply because you came from there. Having said that something like 75% of med hopefuls (note that everyone is not a premed) get accepted so there's some debate as to the advantage it confers.

Anyway, as long as you are an exceptional, hardworking applicant you will be competitive for any med school. If you are not the above, you will not get in even if you go to Healthsci.It is you, not the program that's going to get you into med school.

Having said that, I encourage you to apply if it sounds good to you.Note that about 4000 people apply for 200 offers so that's a 5% chance of getting in!:cyclops:

This is less than your chances of getting into medical school. Note that a lot of the admissions is based on luck because of how your supp app is evaluated and how they like it.

Anyways, my second choice would undoubtedly be Western Biomed. Not just because of the quality of the program but also because no one that I know attending Western has regretted going to that school. So I would definitely have gone there. Note that Mac LifeSci is a very different program (too many people go to it thinking it is a good alternative to Healthsci) and I personally would pick Western Biomed over it anyday.

Good Luck!:bom:

Thanks Aeria.
I will definitely have to look into it. And you were accepted into Mac Health Sci right?
If you don't mind me asking, what was your overall average in Grade 12? Congrats.
Yeah, I know a lot of people going to Western and it's the school I've always wanted to go to anyways.

I do enjoy self-learning and group work so if I did get into Mac Heath Sci that would probably be my first pick, but seeing as the odds are low, Western bio med would probably be the second best pick as you say.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@andrewk512 wrote
That list makes no sense. McGill Life Sci will kill your GPA, and UofT shouldn't even be considered. McMaster, Queen's and Western are all solid choices. UBC should be on that list too.

Really now? You think Queens, UWO and Mac are that much harder than McGill? Then again, I'm not in Science so I wouldn't know.

Besides, I'm giving advice based on the quality of the programs and the students. If you can't even get a good GPA in Canadian Life Sicence/Biomed/Health Science undergrad, then you're just a tard. Just IMO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Random fact: In 2009/10 there was a ~17% chance of getting into med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I agree so much with what Aeria said (I wonder who you are IRL :P). Mac Health Sci is indeed a group work oriented program, and really, if you're not good at group work, are you really cut out to being a doctor? This program discourages you from thinking about marks too much and instead encourages you to develop personality-wise.

And I really think you should look into McGill life sci. For that University, an 85+ is already a 4.0 gpa so it's somewhat easier than McMaster and all the other Universities in Ontario. Plus, Mcgill is an internationally-renowned school, so if you're concerned about that, you should really apply to mcgill!

And I'm really against the notion that UofT life sci will "kill your gpa". Of course, I'm not going into the program so I don't have any first-hand experience, but you should consider this: the cut-offs for UofT life sci is significantly lower than for McMaster or other Universities. IIRC, Mac Life Sci had a high 80s cut off this year. You obviously don't hear that much about Mac Life Sci because the caliber of the students going into the program is higher than that of UofT. Obviously you'd hear more complaining from UofT life sci students than from Mac students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lookatme wrote
I agree so much with what Aeria said (I wonder who you are IRL :P). Mac Health Sci is indeed a group work oriented program, and really, if you're not good at group work, are you really cut out to being a doctor? This program discourages you from thinking about marks too much and instead encourages you to develop personality-wise.

And I really think you should look into McGill life sci. For that University, an 85+ is already a 4.0 gpa so it's somewhat easier than McMaster and all the other Universities in Ontario. Plus, Mcgill is an internationally-renowned school, so if you're concerned about that, you should really apply to mcgill!

And I'm really against the notion that UofT life sci will "kill your gpa". Of course, I'm not going into the program so I don't have any first-hand experience, but you should consider this: the cut-offs for UofT life sci is significantly lower than for McMaster or other Universities. IIRC, Mac Life Sci had a high 80s cut off this year. You obviously don't hear that much about Mac Life Sci because the caliber of the students going into the program is higher than that of UofT. Obviously you'd hear more complaining from UofT life sci students than from Mac students.

Solid Comment, I've seen so many shiitties get into UofT lifesci because they take a lot of kids. When they fail, they complain ... I think the quality of the program is on par with that of the other major Canadian Life Science programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I've never looked into Life Sci programs.... do they prepare you well for Medical school??
Was this helpful? Yes 0