yconic - MAC Health sci vs. UOttawa Health sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MAC Health sci vs. UOttawa Health sci

A photo of missecret missecret
Does anyone know the difference? Similarities? I wish to pursue a career in dentistry and the UOttawa Health sci program piques my interest. Both schools have a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Schen Schen
McMaster's Health Science program has a different approach to teaching. They teach on a basis of problem-based learning (PBL). The way they learn and get evaluated is different that the traditional university system (through lecture notes and exams).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Schen wrote
McMaster's Health Science program has a different approach to teaching. They teach on a basis of problem-based learning (PBL). The way they learn and get evaluated is different that the traditional university system (through lecture notes and exams).

Ok and what of the course types?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
With McMaster PBL, your classes are structured around problems that you must solve within a smaller group. You still have normal lectures, but less emphasis is placed on this than working with your small group. The advantage to this is that most classes even in 1st year for PBL are very small, full year courses; this means you get to have a group of 10-15 peers for the whole year that you become very close with.

However, Mac Health Sci is extremely hard to get into. A minumum 90% is needed to be considered, a supplementary application is required, and you have to have a fair balance of science and non-science courses. They get about 3000 applications a year for 160 spots.

You might find UOttawa easier to get into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rosered93 rosered93

@mccannca466 wrote

However, Mac Health Sci is extremely hard to get into. A minumum 90% is needed to be considered, a supplementary application is required, and you have to have a fair balance of science and non-science courses. They get about 3000 applications a year for 160 spots.

Just to clarify: there are more than 160 admission offers sent out; 160 has just been the ~number of acceptances. This year's class is larger, but the same number of offers went out--we just had more people accept. (I think it's 200? Or 250. I can't remember the exact number.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rosered93 wrote

@mccannca466 wrote

Just to clarify: there are more than 160 admission offers sent out; 160 has just been the ~number of acceptances. This year's class is larger, but the same number of offers went out--we just had more people accept. (I think it's 200? Or 250. I can't remember the exact number.)

Thank you for your replies everyone. but I'm still not clear on the differences between type of courses there are in both programs. Do they learn the same things?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@missecret wrote

@rosered93 wrote

@mccannca466 wrote

Thank you for your replies everyone. but I'm still not clear on the differences between type of courses there are in both programs. Do they learn the same things?

No, they don't learn the same things. Health Science at macmaster is a very unique program similiar to biomedical science from any other Universities. The best way for you to figure out the differences is by looking at the courses offered in both the programs. If you go to Macmaster Health Science and look under current students you can see the courses you have to take and check out the same way with other U's and see what interest you the most.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HweiHwei HweiHwei

@missecret wrote

@rosered93 wrote

@mccannca466 wrote

The short answer? It depends.

The long one? It really depends.

Health Science in many respects is a program which can make or break you, if you simply cruised through it doing nothing but the bare minimum you'll be worse off than most life sciences students. But what it does do, and do very well is provide you with a skillset, the resources (like pizza), and guidance to learn what you want.

Have an interest in Wet Work? We have a specialty for that. Child Health? Yep. Global Health? Yep. Health Policy? Yes, we do.

The reason why so many H Scis have trouble defining what Health Science is, is because it's very different for each person. I know people who are considering the military after their bachelors, some are looking at medical school (if I had a nickel), and others are looking at teaching.

The curriculum is vague, but you can learn everything a "regular" program would teach you, and frankly you only need first and second year really for Med school. They reteach the basics to you in a accelerated manner, but you should know that from the MCATs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0