yconic - Mac Life Sci vs Western BioMed
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Life Sci vs Western BioMed

A photo of iSlam15 iSlam15
Hi guys. I'm a grade 12 student and still cannot decide between these two programs. They seem pretty much identical. I have yet to visit the Western campus. McMaster would be a money-saver as it is closer to home and i have the option to commute. It is a tough decision for me... Could anyone provide me with strong pros and cons for either programs? Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My biased, yet fairly popular opinion:

Western campus is gorgeous.
McMaster campus is depressing.

Western you can have a great experience and still do well academically.
McMaster does not have a perfect balance.

Western has a less stressful course load than McMaster (testified by all people I know in either program) and McMaster requires a brutal amount of work to succeed whereas Western is manageable.

Also, if your goal is to go into medical/dental school (or really anything with the degree from either program), no one cares what the school is that you go to, only your GPA, MCAT, interview, etc. Saying you went to Mac Health Sci won't impress people more than saying you went to Western Bio Med, if that's one of your concerns.

DON'T COMMUTE! UNIVERSITY/RESIDENCE EXPERIENCE IS IMPORTANT :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iSlam15 iSlam15
Thanks for the reply... Could anyone else give there opinion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@iSlam15 wrote
Thanks for the reply... Could anyone else give there opinion?

I'll give my opinion on Mac and Western, and I'll try and not be biased towards Mac.

Western Pro's:
Large, classic campus - Kings UC and their main tower are awesome.
Nice, safe city.
The BMSc gives you an oppurtunity to study medical sciences before becoming a doctor.

Cons:
Expensive :(
BMSc is very competitive, especially for the very med-school oriented ones.
Large campus, large student enrollment (typically 1200+ in the program). My friend in first year bio/med says it was hard for to adjust.

Mac Pros:
MIDSIZE, classic campus. UHall, Hamilton Hall, and BSB look awesome! Some of the newer buildings are really nice too.
Whether you're in BHSc or Honours Life Science (The actual life sci major) you're exposed to an interdisciplinary (draws upon and makes connections) program,, inquiry, and pbl. More inquiry in health sci though.
Slightly smaller program (800)

Mac Cons:
Hamilton... need I say more.
Competition is a little higher since the average entry grade into science is typically higher.
Some res buildings are not as good as the other, and also still quite expensive but not as much as western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@iSlam15 wrote
Hi guys. I'm a grade 12 student and still cannot decide between these two programs. They seem pretty much identical. I have yet to visit the Western campus. McMaster would be a money-saver as it is closer to home and i have the option to commute. It is a tough decision for me... Could anyone provide me with strong pros and cons for either programs? Thank you.

I have many friends studying science at McMaster. I went there for first year social sciences and am transferring out. It's competitive but manageable. Marks aren't too difficult to come by but you need to put in the work. After 3 months, it becomes extremely tedious and boring living at mac. The university is a square. Your only options are going to class,go to the library or student center, then going back to your rez/off campus housing.

Basically this is the conclusion we came to. If you seriously care about reputation and mostly care about studying and don't care about putting your social life in the backburner, go to Mac. Otherwise it's not for you. It's really expensive too. I've also heard that Western Biomed is an easier program.

@comebackkid wrote
Western Pro's:
Large, classic campus - Kings UC and their main tower are awesome.

Mac Pros:
MIDSIZE, classic campus. UHall, Hamilton Hall, and BSB look awesome! Some of the newer buildings are really nice too.

Architecture should not matter 100%.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to be honest University is what you make of it. So the post by the OP serves little to no purpose. As a lot of these types of posts on here, you will always get conflicting views.

Also, I'm aware that architecture shouldn't influence an opinion, but it's a positive aspect of both schools. The nicer the campus is at a school the more comfortable students will feel. Personally I really like both, but since I was so drawn to Mac since day 1 I felt at home immediately when I visited the campus :)

Western and Mac are definitely not easy schools, no mater what anyone says, since they're some of the best in the world. It honest just depends on how the student will interpret their courses, at each school.

Three factors that should affect descision:
-Course/Program offerings
-Availability of research
-Coop
and both schools offer a wide range of courses and programs, and the latter two points.

So, it should honestly just come to where the OP feels at home and will be happy! Good luck choosing a school!
Was this helpful? Yes 0