yconic - Mac Life Sci vs. Western Biomed
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Life Sci vs. Western Biomed

A photo of tnazz tnazz
Well I am having a hard decision to make between these two universities. There are many factors I have considered but I am not sure so I need some advice. I visited mac over the weekend and found it a pretty nice campus. I have not visited western yet but people have told me it is much larger and different.

My first question is what are the similarities and differences between mac and western campus in terms of residence, social life, opportunities, etc.?

Now many people have told me to choose a university based on the courses they offer. I have noticed western first year is more general compared to mac. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The courses and structure at western after first year seems better than mac.

If you are a current mac life sci or western biomed student please tell me what courses you took first year and which courses you enjoy and recommend.

Is it also true that mac life sci is overshadowed by health sci?

I'm sorry because I know some of these questions might have been asked before. I just need some advice and opinions. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of tabletop tabletop

@tnazz wrote
Well I am having a hard decision to make between these two universities. There are many factors I have considered but I am not sure so I need some advice. I visited mac over the weekend and found it a pretty nice campus. I have not visited western yet but people have told me it is much larger and different.

My first question is what are the similarities and differences between mac and western campus in terms of residence, social life, opportunities, etc.?

Now many people have told me to choose a university based on the courses they offer. I have noticed western first year is more general compared to mac. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The courses and structure at western after first year seems better than mac.

If you are a current mac life sci or western biomed student please tell me what courses you took first year and which courses you enjoy and recommend.

Is it also true that mac life sci is overshadowed by health sci?

I'm sorry because I know some of these questions might have been asked before. I just need some advice and opinions. Thanks.

Hey tnazz,

1) It is hard to compare two campuses that are completely different. I have visited Western and I liked Mac alot better. Mac is smaller, and I felt they were more welcoming at the open house days (not to say that Western isn't but it's how I felt about Mac).

2) Take a look at my thread titled "Mac LifeSci Questions??" to see what courses are required for first year.

3) No, I don't believe Lifesci is overshadowed by healthsci AT ALL. They are two different faculties first of all. Second of all, you may share some of the same classes (Chem, Math, Physics) however there are WAY more lifescis than healthscis (obviously)so even if you do meet a healthsci they will not think any less of you. Quite a few of the kids in Mac lifesci are people that applied to Healthsci, being the same "calibre" of students. I see no reason why they would look down on lifescis. Also--if anything--a lot of people talk about how "easy" healthsci is and say it is a joke. So you can look at it from both ways.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions post on my other thread or here :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of qszwdxefc qszwdxefc
From what I've heard, what you learn in a first year biology oriented program at any Ontario or even Canadian university is pretty much the same, give or a take a different unit here and there.

From that, I would consider upper year course selection more than just first year. Mac, Western, and universities with a lot of people attending them usually don't have this obsticle, so don't worry too much about this.

In terms of the campus and such, it's really up to you. I feel that Western's campus is far superior to Mac's, but that's just my opinion. When you're in a car or a bus or just walking, you feel the difference between the UWO campus and it's surroundings as soon as you enter campus, which really gives you that welcoming and close knit feel. For Mac, I don't know if it was a bad impression simply from the one rez I visited and the health sci building, but to me it was way too poorly lit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0