yconic - Mac Life Science Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac Life Science Questions

A photo of ballinallday ballinallday
Hey Guys,

I'm a gr.11 student and I just got some questions about mac life science since I'm taking a couple 12 courses and reaching ahead so I wanted to know a few things about mac life sci, (and related programs like the health science at mac, biomed western, UofT life sci etc.)

1. I heard when applying to most of those life/health sciences programs (other than mac health) all you gotta send in is your top 6 marks? is that correct? what about EC's and Volunteer Hours and all that other stuff? If you got a lot of hours, joined more EC's and stuff, would that matter a lot when they look at who to accept, or will that not even be a factor at all?

2. is it a good idea to do english in summer school? It's my worst subject, but I heard its better to do it all at once vs a full semester, anyone have their opinion/experience on it?

3. Is english required in university? do they make you take it or something later? or will ENG4U be the last time i'll ever need to do english?

4. If I do the 4 required courses, Math, English, Chem, Bio for my top 6, can my other 2 courses be easier courses to raise my overall average (like business, challenge and change etc.) or will that be looked down upon for acceptance if they compare it to someone who took the 4 required courses and then took 2 more hard courses like calc and physics added to their top 6

thanks to anyone who can try to help! I really appreciate it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77

@ballinallday wrote
Hey Guys,

I'm a gr.11 student and I just got some questions about mac life science since I'm taking a couple 12 courses and reaching ahead so I wanted to know a few things about mac life sci, (and related programs like the health science at mac, biomed western, UofT life sci etc.)

1. I heard when applying to most of those life/health sciences programs (other than mac health) all you gotta send in is your top 6 marks? is that correct? what about EC's and Volunteer Hours and all that other stuff? If you got a lot of hours, joined more EC's and stuff, would that matter a lot when they look at who to accept, or will that not even be a factor at all?

2. is it a good idea to do english in summer school? It's my worst subject, but I heard its better to do it all at once vs a full semester, anyone have their opinion/experience on it?

3. Is english required in university? do they make you take it or something later? or will ENG4U be the last time i'll ever need to do english?

4. If I do the 4 required courses, Math, English, Chem, Bio for my top 6, can my other 2 courses be easier courses to raise my overall average (like business, challenge and change etc.) or will that be looked down upon for acceptance if they compare it to someone who took the 4 required courses and then took 2 more hard courses like calc and physics added to their top 6

1. Mac Life Sci just requires your Top 6 U/M marks. If you are applying to Health Sci, you need to fill in a MANDATORY supplementary application. Other schools, like UBC, Waterloo, and Guelph for example have you fill out an optional information form/supplementary application/profile. The Health Sci supp typically doesn't ask you to state your EC's or hours. HOWEVER, subtly throwing them into your answers wouldn't kill anyone. Loo's AIF on the other hand has you fill out ALL EC's.

2. I got lucky this year with English. My teacher (during regular school) was really bad, emotionally tortured students and ended up getting fired (we think). So, due to this circumstance all of our marks got inflated based on our exam marks and previous year marks so I got away from English successfully. If you feel that taking summer school English will get you a higher mark, by all means DO IT. It's the marks that matter in grade 12.

3. If you want to go to Med School you are required to take ONE English course. If not, you have the option of taking it as an elective.

4. Well, it all depends on the marks. If those courses get you higher marks then take them. I took the three sciences, and two maths and it's not terrible. It's good preparation for a heavy work load I suppose. However, if you feel inadequate about marks, or you anticipate you won't have a high enough average (86% I believe?) then take the "easy" courses. They're not necessarily easy, just not as heavy as math and science lol.

Hope I helped :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ballinallday ballinallday
thanks Raymond, you indeed helped a lot :)

but i got a few more questions if you don't mind!

I understand that Mac Health Sci requires a supplementary, its a tough program so it makes sense :P

but I'm also gonna apply to..

Mac: Life Sci
Western: Health Sci, Bio Med
UofT: Life Sci

that will be about it, but I'm only worried about Mac Life Sci right now, so do you know exactly what I'll need? You say its just the Top 6 U/M courses, but is that really it? Wouldn't you get an advantage if you did better EC's and Volunteer hours? Is there any way of making yourself the best possible candidate for Mac Life Sci?

And yea, I think i'll do summer school and work as hard as I can for that month, I'll thank myself later for it lol, but yeah I want to go to med school so I guess I'll be having to take english for 1 last year, and then i'll finally be done with it! :D (I hope thats the case)

Also can you tell me about what you've done so far, like where you're applying/applied, which school and program, and which courses you took and the marks you got? It would really help

Thanks again, and if anyone else has something to say, please let me know!! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Don't know about UWO health sci but Mac life sci, UWO biomed and U of T life sci all don't require supp apps. They will only look at your top 6 average. ECs/volunteering will not be taken into consideration. Most science programs are like that.

Take it during summer school if you're bad at English.

English is typically not required in undergrad (I didn't have to take English), and typically only US med schools will require English. Ontario med schools will just have a "social sciences/humanities" requirement, which you can take English to fill but it's much more common to take something like econ/psych/sociology etc because they are much easier than English.

They won't fault you for taking easier courses, the difficulty of a course is not looked at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@ballinallday wrote
Hey Guys,

EC's and volunteer hours does not matter for any science programs unless you are going to apply to Mac Health Science. You only need to submit AIF at Waterloo for Science program only if you think your marks are going to go lower than the entrance average.For this year, my acceptance letter says I have to maintain 78% if I don't think I could do it than I submit an AIF before March 1st I think and that's when my EC's count.

Your top 6 marks should include ,English and the pre requisites which normally has 2 science and one math and yes you can take 2 other easy subjects like challenge and change,exercise science etc etc .It doesn't have to be a U course, M course is fine too.Western Biomed ,I believe has changed their requirement for next year.I believe Calculus is compulsory as of next year and this year was only Advanced Functions as their only Math pre req. My opinion is better to take both .2.

is it a good idea to do english in summer school? It's my worst subject, but I heard its better to do it all at once vs a full semester, anyone have their opinion/experience on it?

I took English in a private school in the month of August and took AF in a regular summer school.Had a very strict English teacher but she was definately million times better than my day school teacher. I actually felt like I really learned something for the first time.

ENG4U is the last time you ever do it and most Universities require atleast 70% .Though I believe Ryerson min is 65.

Your bottom 2 can be anything for Mac Lifescience.Whatever that you think that can boost your marks.Every school has easy teachers/easy marks. If you have any Grage 12 friends ask them in advance .
Mac Health Science and Western Health Science is not the same just thought I should let you know.You can go to Western site to see the differences in their 3 Science programs.

Good Luck

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ballinallday wrote
thanks Raymond, you indeed helped a lot :)

but i got a few more questions if you don't mind!

I understand that Mac Health Sci requires a supplementary, its a tough program so it makes sense :P

but I'm also gonna apply to..

Mac: Life Sci
Western: Health Sci, Bio Med
UofT: Life Sci

that will be about it, but I'm only worried about Mac Life Sci right now, so do you know exactly what I'll need? You say its just the Top 6 U/M courses, but is that really it? Wouldn't you get an advantage if you did better EC's and Volunteer hours? Is there any way of making yourself the best possible candidate for Mac Life Sci?

And yea, I think i'll do summer school and work as hard as I can for that month, I'll thank myself later for it lol, but yeah I want to go to med school so I guess I'll be having to take english for 1 last year, and then i'll finally be done with it! :D (I hope thats the case)

Also can you tell me about what you've done so far, like where you're applying/applied, which school and program, and which courses you took and the marks you got? It would really help

Thanks again, and if anyone else has something to say, please let me know!! :)

McMaster does not look at your EC's or volunteer hours. Believe me, i did a whole bunch and they really don't care lol. The only schools that will consider those include Queens and Waterloo because you can include that information in your PSE or AIF, respectively.

Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0