yconic - MAC residences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MAC residences

A photo of Chelbear Chelbear
I went on a tour of MAC recently but I only got to tour one of the residences and it was the suite style. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which residence at MAC is the most desirable and was able to tour the different ones. I was thinking about an only female option but I don't know if one of the co-ed residences would be better. Any comments are welcome.:cyclops:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011
Our tour guide took us to Brandon, which is in acceptable condition considering its age. The double room is also larger than I thought.
I'd prefer Les Prince, but not much chance in getting that. Besides, it is a long walk to the healthsci bldg. (can't image what it'd be like with several inches of snow/sludge on the ground)
Btw, you can post this question in inthemaking's thread. I am sure you'd get a detailed answer from him/her.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
There are virtual tours you can take if you go to Mac's website (too lazy to find it for you) but its a pretty nice little app to show you all the residences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SteveMcColl SteveMcColl
I thought there was always sludge on the ground in Hamilton?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of geniusindisguise geniusindisguise
I guess it depends on whether you want a suite style or traditional .
Personally, i think Keyes will be my first choice followed by the female and then prince other than that not sure :S granted i get into my program of choice ofcourse
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NotAvailable NotAvailable

@geniusindisguise wrote
I guess it depends on whether you want a suite style or traditional .
Personally, i think Keyes will be my first choice followed by the female and then prince other than that not sure :S granted i get into my program of choice ofcourse

You're likely enough to get all female if you ask for it. Although whether that will be Wallingford of Moulton (which has 2 all Female floors) isn't a guarantee.

Les Prince isn't that far ultimately, but it isn't as close to things as Keyes. I've never found it too far for classes though, campus is pretty small in general.

The only main complaints I hear with Keyes is that if you don't hit it off with your suite mates it can be hard to meet people in residence, so it doesn't give as much of the "first year experience" that a lot of people are looking for in residence and that it is considerably more expensive than your other options.

I'm also happy to field any residence related questions. I'm part of the McMaster Inter-Residence Council, so I'd say I do know a fair bit about the buildings, even if I've only ever lived in Les Prince.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
Can we do off-campus housing in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NotAvailable NotAvailable

@esin wrote
Can we do off-campus housing in first year?

You definitely can. A fair number of people do, especially if their family lives close enough to Mac to just commute. If you are looking to rent a house with friends it might be a bit late to definitely get a good full house, since a lot of those will already have gotten snatched up (people start hunting as early as January). Most leases are for 12 months of the year and most landlords try to get people to go from May of one year to April of the next. There should still be some people with empty rooms in houses. There are also some apartment buildings not that far off campus where you could get a 1 person apartment. There's also West Village Suites which is kind of like an off campus apartment building for students. I don't know it that well but they often had ads in things that are given out to students...

80% of res space is reserved for 1st years, and as long as you apply by the deadline, pay the deposit, and have at least the minimum average (I think it's about 76-77%), then all 1st years are guaranteed a room in residence. It is a great way to meet a lot of people. Many people do choose to live in residence first year as part of the First Year Experience of University. It also provides a nice semi step from home life and being completely out in your own house (don't need to cook, have Res Staff Members there to talk to / get advice). Residence living is also fairly convenient, whereas if you're living farther from campus you might not be able to go home for gaps in your day.

That being said, not living on campus isn't definitely the end of the world (or your social life). Get involved in things such as the Society of Off Campus Students (SOCS) and you'll still get a chance to meet a lot of people. And definitely participate in Welcome Week activities to help meet people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fatalis Fatalis
Just a quick question, I've heard that at Keyes, it's a bit less social due to the fact that many people tend to stay in their own suites. Would you say this is true for Les Prince, due to the fact that they have their own washroom, or would you say the social interactions are closer to a more traditional style residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of summercandy summercandy
I went to the May @ Mac today and I looked at Brandon, Mckay and Hedden (Traditional) I just looked at traditional because I won't be able to afford the suite styles. I really enjoy Brandon because of the size so there is more people to get to know and such. Hedden has the nicest common rooms I think. McKay was my least favourite but it still is pretty good. My first choice will be Brandon followed by Hedden then Mckay
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64

@summercandy wrote
I went to the May @ Mac today and I looked at Brandon, Mckay and Hedden (Traditional) I just looked at traditional because I won't be able to afford the suite styles. I really enjoy Brandon because of the size so there is more people to get to know and such. Hedden has the nicest common rooms I think. McKay was my least favourite but it still is pretty good. My first choice will be Brandon followed by Hedden then Mckay

I agree completely, I saw McKay, Brandon, Hedden, and Les prince. Les prince was my favourite but its too expensive so besides that Brandon was the best followed really closely by hedden and McKay kinda sucked.

Did anyone check out the dorm styles in the other area (Near Bates and keyes) how were they compared to brandon and hedden?
Was this helpful? Yes 0