yconic - Mac/Western/Waterloo Kin?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mac/Western/Waterloo Kin?

A photo of dancekevin dancekevin
What would be the ranking between the three of these schools for kinesiology? I also applied to U of T and York. Also, what are my chances of getting into Mac Kin with an 85.5% average, with 3 more courses to go? (Calculus, Physics, Exercise Sciences)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of UCtechnique UCtechnique

@dancekevin wrote
What would be the ranking between the three of these schools for kinesiology? I also applied to U of T and York. Also, what are my chances of getting into Mac Kin with an 85.5% average, with 3 more courses to go? (Calculus, Physics, Exercise Sciences)

I've heard that all three programs are great. It all depends on what you're looking for in a Kine program, and for that I suggest you go to the University's respective websites and look at the Undergrad Calendars to see if the way the program is laid out suits your needs (going to the schools and talking to students within the programs will help as well). Don't take my word on this, but I believe Waterloo has a heavier focus on the "physics" aspect of Kinesiology (i.e. biomechanics)... at Mac you can choose from 40 different courses in the upper years so a lot of variety... and Western is probably the most laid back of the three. For Mac the range is mid to high 80's so you're really going to want to do well in those three courses, especially if you didn't fare so well in Advanced Functions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@UCtechnique wrote
I've heard that all three programs are great. It all depends on what you're looking for in a Kine program, and for that I suggest you go to the University's respective websites and look at the Undergrad Calendars to see if the way the program is laid out suits your needs (going to the schools and talking to students within the programs will help as well). Don't take my word on this, but I believe Waterloo has a heavier focus on the "physics" aspect of Kinesiology (i.e. biomechanics)... at Mac you can choose from 40 different courses in the upper years so a lot of variety... and Western is probably the most laid back of the three. For Mac the range is mid to high 80's so you're really going to want to do well in those three courses, especially if you didn't fare so well in Advanced Functions.

Ahh, then I may reconsider because I seem to be more of a biology or chemistry person. I was thinking of going to Waterloo for the Co-op program, but I'm not amazing at physics. I'm aiming for a high 80-low 90 in all three of those courses, but physics is worrying me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dancekevin wrote

@UCtechnique wrote

Ahh, then I may reconsider because I seem to be more of a biology or chemistry person. I was thinking of going to Waterloo for the Co-op program, but I'm not amazing at physics. I'm aiming for a high 80-low 90 in all three of those courses, but physics is worrying me.

Physics isn't too tough. If you memorize all the formulae and know how to to manipulate them to suit a given problem you have an easy 80+. Plus once you get into Kine the only Physics you really need is interesting as it relates to the human body. I was just reading some stuff I have on Waterloo Kine... while it is heavily science-based, it is only the biomechanics and motor control specialization that will require a lot of physics. You should sign up at premed101 and talk to leap87... he/she went to York for the Kine BSc Undergrad and is now at Waterloo for a Masters/PhD I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I've never heard anything about Waterloo's kin program but Western, York and Mac seem to be the top 3 (Ontario) programs for kin.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@UCtechnique wrote
Physics isn't too tough. If you memorize all the formulae and know how to to manipulate them to suit a given problem you have an easy 80+. Plus once you get into Kine the only Physics you really need is interesting as it relates to the human body. I was just reading some stuff I have on Waterloo Kine... while it is heavily science-based, it is only the biomechanics and motor control specialization that will require a lot of physics. You should sign up at premed101 and talk to leap87... he/she went to York for the Kine BSc Undergrad and is now at Waterloo for a Masters/PhD I believe.

Getting an 80+ isn't the problem, it's the 87+ that i'm aiming for.
I talked to an athletic therapist today and she told me that York is the only university in Ontario with an athletic therapy degree program: 2 years of kine, and 2 years of athletic therapy and you get your degree.

@inthemaking wrote
I've never heard anything about Waterloo's kin program but Western, York and Mac seem to be the top 3 (Ontario) programs for kin.

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. The only reason I want to go to Waterloo is cause of their co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@UCtechnique wrote

I talked to an athletic therapist today and she told me that York is the only university in Ontario with an athletic therapy degree program: 2 years of kine, and 2 years of athletic therapy and you get your degree.

@inthemaking wrote

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. The only reason I want to go to Waterloo is cause of their co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran

@dancekevin wrote

@UCtechnique wrote

@inthemaking wrote

Is athletic therapy what you plan on doing? If thats the case then go to York lol. I hear Mac is similar to UW as it is also very heavily science-based. I also want to go to UW for Co-op... but right now I'm deciding between UW, York and UofT.

Have you gotten invitations for the open houses for Kine programs at UW/York/UofT? I highly suggest you attend. The tour of the labs and everything gives you a better idea of what the university is like. You also get an opportunity to talk to profs and students there.
Also agree with UC above, talk to leap87, he'll def help you because he's been to both York and UW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katsurin Katsurin
Mac is science-based, but I don't think it's very physics based is it? I'm having trouble choosing between either McMaster, Waterloo, or Western right now, although I'm leaning towards McMaster. I've also talked to a student from McMaster and Waterloo and they both seem to love the kines program at their university a very much. But that doesn't make it any easier for me to pick 'cause they both had positive things to say (ie. it's a great program, great profs, love everything about it, etc).

I don't really know anything about the kines program at Western, but only that you can take a nutrition minor, and that's the thing that would draw me, I guess. For Waterloo, the Co-op is extremely tempting.

Since McMaster has the highest admission acceptance, does that mean anything about the program? That it has higher standards or anything? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote

I don't know exactly where you're getting that information. From what I understand Waterloo is in fact the number one Kine program in Canada especially for research.

Here's leap87's reply to me about his/her ranking of Ontario's Kine programs:
"1. Waterloo; 2. York; 3. Queens; 4. Mac; 5. Western; 6. Laurier. I've met some very smart individuals from all of these schools via conferences, but Waterloo has the most - the most undergrads involved in research and they're all pretty smart. To give you an example, this year for the OBC (conference), Waterloo students comprise 1/2 of population. The other half is the rest of the schools. So you can only imagine how many students get involved in research."

For me, I want to get into Medical School and eventually move onto Sports Medicine... so I'm looking for a Kine program with plenty of flexibility that will allow me to take Med School prereq's. Just a consideration if you were unsure of what you want to do with your Kine degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dancekevin wrote

@UCtechnique wrote

@inthemaking wrote

I'm not sure that athletic therapy is the best idea. I may be way off base but I think you can become an athletic therapist with a college degree. If you're going into Kine I would look more at Physiotherapy/Chiropractic/Med School... yes these jobs require a few more years of school but you will end up being more qualified to do something you love (hopefully), not to mention the money is much better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
So if UW is good for research, is it good for anything else?
What if I want to get a job straight out of uni, not really involving research?
Waterloo is so far, yet it has co-op. York is really close by but it doesn't have co-op, so what would be the better choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@Uncotran wrote
So if UW is good for research, is it good for anything else?
What if I want to get a job straight out of uni, not really involving research?
Waterloo is so far, yet it has co-op. York is really close by but it doesn't have co-op, so what would be the better choice?

Go to Waterloo if you want a job, co-op will help big time. York is ok, I go to york and the Kin program here is quite competitive, alot of biomed & biology students switch into Kin in their second year. York doesn't have the best study atmosphere compared to Waterloo, and plus waterloo has more opportunities especially with co-op, + you can get letters of reference if you want to apply to professional schools from your co-op place. Anyways, good luck with whatever choice you make.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@UCtechnique wrote

@inthemaking wrote

I don't know exactly where you're getting that information. From what I understand Waterloo is in fact the number one Kine program in Canada especially for research.

Here's leap87's reply to me about his/her ranking of Ontario's Kine programs:
"1. Waterloo; 2. York; 3. Queens; 4. Mac; 5. Western; 6. Laurier. I've met some very smart individuals from all of these schools via conferences, but Waterloo has the most - the most undergrads involved in research and they're all pretty smart. To give you an example, this year for the OBC (conference), Waterloo students comprise 1/2 of population. The other half is the rest of the schools. So you can only imagine how many students get involved in research."

For me, I want to get into Medical School and eventually move onto Sports Medicine... so I'm looking for a Kine program with plenty of flexibility that will allow me to take Med School prereq's. Just a consideration if you were unsure of what you want to do with your Kine degree.

Not based on research or anything, just from what I've observed in where people I know tend to apply/go to for kin, and they've all done extensive research into the various kin programs. All of them want to be PTs though, and don't want to do research at all, so that may have something to do with their decision not to apply/go to Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0