yconic - Main Concern About Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Main Concern About Schulich

A photo of JCP JCP
To get straight to the point, I know that Schulich is a great business program. It is in my top 3 with Laurier and Queen's.

However, I feel that if I choose to go to Schulich at York then I will be in part missing out on the university experience, mainly because of the atmosphere at the campus, the number of commuters, and the location.

It may be a dumb concern, but this is really the only thing that is holding me back from Schulich.

I'm interested to hear anyone that is thinking of going to Schulich's opinion on the topic, because I'm sure that I can't be the only one thinking this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
73 replies

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Same concern that I had when I was cosidering schulich (didn't apply).

I'd really suggest you just go to Laurier and party...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I was considering Schulich because of the amount of money I would save to get a business degree that was almost as the same value as Queen's and Ivey degree. But I knew I would be missing out on the social aspect. I'm dead set on Ivey right now, but if my parents can't afford the money or I can't get enough OSAP I'm probably going to have to stick to Schulich.

If you get into Queen's, I would choose that over Schulich but Laurier vs. Schulich is not for debate man.. the honest truth is all though Laurier is known in Ontario.. internationally it has next to no presence. At least Schulich is up there in those rankings and it's (most of the time) considered on the same tier as Ivey and Queen's.

Also depends on what you would like to do.. if it's accounting I would go to Schulich without a blink of an eye because it's so perfect for people that want to do accounting. If it's finance then may be you should considered Laurier a bit and obviously choose Queen's over Schulich.

But yeah good luck on your decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And honestly don't underestimate Schulich because it is not appreciated on this forum. Sometimes when I talk to my teachers they all know about Schulich and Ivey and how good they are but sometimes don't know programs like Queen's Commerce. Almost everyone on this forum is leaning towards finance so it's understandable why they put down Schulich. Schulich only had 5%:P of people go into finance in class of 2010..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JCP JCP
It's not like Schulich regulates how many people go into each field, that data was probably a result of personal preference mixed in with the growing reputation that the school doesn't promote going into finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Why wouldn't the school promote going into finance?

And yeah well before most people go to Schulich, most of them are pretty set on accounting and that's why they choose it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JCP JCP
I meant that most people that go there dont have finance in mind. Should have worded it better.

I'm sure I will have fun wherever I go, but the atmosphere at York feels like im in a TTC terminal lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol aha on the campus there is bus stops everywhere, at least that's convenient :P

I have a friend staying on res going to Schulich, apparently he's having the time of his life so you never know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
shoe lick
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fiasco29 Fiasco29
Anyone book their Schulich Enrollment/Advising Appointment???

Anyone doin April 28th/2011!!! Cya there.

I'm going to Schulich primarily based on the fact that it is close to me and it is considered top tier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
I have the same concern. Although you can't change the environment at York, you can change your experience if you give residence a try.

@JCP wrote
It's not like Schulich regulates how many people go into each field

No, but it shows a lack of recruitment and campus presence by top firms. All other top business schools (Ivey/Queen's/McGill) have a fairer distribution because of the nature of our different interests. Such low finance numbers year after year means that either Schulich has strong anti-finance propaganda or that it isn't a target school. The former most likely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@CityBoy wrote
And honestly don't underestimate Schulich because it is not appreciated on this forum. Sometimes when I talk to my teachers they all know about Schulich and Ivey and how good they are but sometimes don't know programs like Queen's Commerce. Almost everyone on this forum is leaning towards finance so it's understandable why they put down Schulich. Schulich only had 5%:P of people go into finance in class of 2010..

Hmm, what the hell? Since when is Schulich not appreciated in this forum? I swear, it is by far the most popular school ON this forum, from what I've seen since this past December..? Everyone ONLY talks about it..hmmmm. Yes the majority definitely is going into accounting but the options are open for others too. And remember, from what I assume (don't take it SERIOUSLY from me, I'm in Grade 11 - but I know my shiznat), those 5% of people are the only ones that WANTED to go into finance. You are making it sound like everyone was trying for finance but no one got it and thus they went into accounting - not true. They all like accounting, and most of those who give finance a shot go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
I'm staying on campus first year.. Hopefully it isn't that bad...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
from what I have heard, York has the hottest girls, I dont see how that is "missing out"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary

@Muirhead11 wrote
from what I have heard, York has the hottest girls, I dont see how that is "missing out"

+111123346859096794561345
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
@JCP
I totalllyyyy understand what you are saying and if I were you i would not go. It's personal preference, but judging from what you have said so far you seem like the kind of person who values a social life. People undermine how important that is but legit, it can make contacts and change the way you are (for better or worse?)

My brother went to Schulich and graduated about two years ago. I spoke to him about it and he said if your looking for a 'university experience' like the ones you see in movies or heard of at western, then schulich is not for you. Yeah there are the occasional York parties/clubbing events but to live on res at a NON-COMMUTER school is a totally different experience.

If he could do it all again he would go to Laurier and then transfer to Ivey, BUT it's your choice. You may get distracted in Laurier's environment.

Oh and ya its mostly accounting but there are a handful of people who go into finance, my brother being one of them. These people usually get better exposure to recruiters (but not much since they tend to go to ivey and queens more so than schulich)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
Hmm, what the hell? Since when is Schulich not appreciated in this forum? I swear, it is by far the most popular school ON this forum, from what I've seen since this past December..? Everyone ONLY talks about it..hmmmm. Yes the majority definitely is going into accounting but the options are open for others too. And remember, from what I assume (don't take it SERIOUSLY from me, I'm in Grade 11 - but I know my shiznat), those 5% of people are the only ones that WANTED to go into finance. You are making it sound like everyone was trying for finance but no one got it and thus they went into accounting - not true. They all like accounting, and most of those who give finance a shot go for it.

Not exactly. The 5% number came from employment reports, not specializations in the program. There probably was a better distribution (say 25% specializing in finance) but due to not being able to find a job they probably decided to find an accounting job (as they both overlap greatly).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mercenary wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

You've obviously never been to Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@mercenary wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

Real talk: York has over 50,000 students with barely any academic heavy programs. The result? Hot girls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@mercenary wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

Real talk: York has over 50,000 students with barely any academic heavy programs. The result? Hot girls.

Hot + smart business girls are better
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^

EDIT: Result - Blonde Girls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow this business forum has been talking about girls quite a bit today:P

So I'll contribute:

It's allllll about Western..3rd hottest girls in a North American University (I don't know how the eff you judge that but w.e)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@mercenary wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

Hot + smart business girls are better

Smart...girls?:scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Oooh, you're going to regret that methinks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
^ Oooh, you're going to regret that methinks

Girls don't internet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@mercenary wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

McGill, hot girls with french accents, who ARE smart.

Western is very nice though.... curious about Laurier tho hahaha
Was this helpful? Yes 0