yconic - Maintaining marks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Maintaining marks

A photo of uwo uwo
Hi,

I've just been accepted to UWO for social sciences and I was wondering how hard it would be to get a 70% in my courses(poly sci for example) and if I'm an 80-82% student in high school where my average might be in first year.

Thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The average person's marks drop about 15%. I can do nothing but assume that you are the average person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uwo uwo
Also, what class sizes can i expect for first year political science and history?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
The marks really depend on how smart you are and how hard-working you are...
It's all up to you to make it happen! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uwo uwo
I'm also considering going to King's for poly sci. I'm starting to get a little bit nervous because of people saying that big schools like UWO are really competitive and I may not have the marks to be eligible for honors specialization because of profs bell curving marks. Are there any current UWO or Kings social science (or poly sci) students that can attest to this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Queens14 Queens14
I'm at Queen's but I can say from our average ranges, the opening to Major in Political Science is a 77-80%. I know someone who finished Political Science with an 84% this year. Don't fret, it's not as hard as it seems.

Class size: 200-300

You get a tutorial a week, though: That's a classroom with around 30 kids, usually less.

As long as you go to lecture, study, and do all the readings that is...

Also, in Political Science there's three or four papers you'll have to write throughout the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of akbadak akbadak

@uwo wrote
Hi,

I've just been accepted to UWO for social sciences and I was wondering how hard it would be to get a 70% in my courses(poly sci for example) and if I'm an 80-82% student in high school where my average might be in first year.

Thanks in advance

I got near 80 for poli sci becaue the was the only close I was interested in (this is at UWO), there are two great proffs for first year, so you'll enjoy them. For everythigne lse, I was really interested, however the social scene (I lived in Saugeen for what its worth) and slacking off got to me, so you could say I was one of those "average" people. It is quite possible to maintain your high shcool marks, but you'll have to learn to manage your time, they always tell us that and it is the truth, good luck man, pm me if you have any questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04
From what I'm hearing from university students, if you continue to work just as hard in University as you did in highschool, you should maintain your average within 1-5% (unless your school gave out easy marks). If you slack off, then expect a 15% drop or more. But people I know are stressing that if you stay ontop of your work, maintaining an 80 is not hard at all!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uwo uwo
I also have a question regarding admission questions, for UWO main the social science average cannot fall below 82, does this mean that if it does fall below 82 they will automatically retract the offer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0