yconic - Major for Life Sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Major for Life Sciences

A photo of Harji Harji
I am going to apply to life sciences program at UTM, Mac, and Waterloo. I am planning to do medicine in future. What majors will help and prepare me get to med school? For example, Biomed eng., Biochem, Molecular and Celluar Biology, Evolution and Ecology, Biology etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Biology.

But the probably that you get in is pretty low. Everyone and his mother wants to go to med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I hear a lot of biology majors get into med school, actually.
But like rightsaidfred, EVERYONE goes into university with the hopes of med school, but less than 10% actually end up going.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ While that's probably true, that fact should not be taken as a reason to work towards a biology degree. There are a lot of biology students out there applying to med school; statistically then, a lot of med students would be expected to have completed or nearly completed biology degrees.

Trust me, med schools want students who are going to be the best physicians possible (hence the rigorous application process). They're not going to hold a person to a lower regard because they chose biochemistry over biology or anatomy over physiology or even English over medical science. Your performance in prerequisite courses and electives, on the MCAT, and during the interview, as well as the quality of your extracurriculars, letter of intent, etc... are MUCH more suggestive of your likely performance as a physician than what degree you received or were working towards (which really is just a show of what your interests are/were).

Sure, you could argue that a person with a biology background has a greater interest in being a physician than a person with, say, an English background, but that is a moot point when you consider that the person with an English background has probably gone to greater lengths (specifically, studied harder for the MCAT and prerequisite courses) to applying to med school than a strong candidate with a biology background. Anyone who has applied to med school as a strong candidate obviously has a great interest in becoming a physician. You don't spend lots of time glossing up your resume, studying for the MCAT, paying a considerable amount of money to study for and write the MCAT as well as apply to med school and travel to attend the interview, prepping for the interview, writing quality letters of intent, sucking it up to referees, dealing with all the stress, etc, etc... because you have only a passing interest in becoming a physician.

NOTE: I've applied reason and lots of hearsay from multiple sources to come to this understanding. I also am a rational and rather unbiased person. The med school admissions process is a big black box, however, so I could be off a bit. Nevertheless, my understanding can probably be taken even more seriously than the understanding of an actual med school admin person. They know only their decision making process, which is probably not representative of other admissions officers' decision-making processes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laura14 laura14
I'm at Waterloo. A great program here you can take Honours Science, which means you don't have to specialize in anything if you don't want to and gives you tons of freedom to pursue things you like to take as well as completing prerequisites. Lots of people in this program are preparing for professional schools. The other option here is Biomedical Science, which again is preparation for medical school (or in my case pharmacy school). The only difference is biomedical science specifies what science courses you should take.

I love my school!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
To be honest - there's nothing that will outweigh another.
Getting into med school is a level playing field.

I've been to med school workshops and orientations and gotten a lot of information from current/former med students (and even med school deans).
They ALL say, and repeatedly EMPHASIZE that it doesn't matter as to which undergrad you do as long as you have the required courses. There were so many students at workshops who held degrees anywhere from engineering to creative writing.

It's all about what you want. There's no one degree that will 'help' you more, per se. Yes it's true, a person with a biology related degree would like med school more because they would be really interested, but a person with a fine arts degree would have the potential to do equally as well.

Everyone has to study for the MCAT equally, having a Biology degree will not leave you with advantages while applying.
I know some med schools in Canada that don't even require a bachelor's degree, they only want 2 years of university experience.
As long as you meet that criteria, the rest is based on your GPA, MCAT, and Interview.

So take something you like in university, so you do well, get a high GPA, and then apply to Med School.

Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0