yconic - Major in Computer Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Major in Computer Science?

A photo of Untitled Untitled
I am really thinking of taking a major in computer science, but I am terrible at math.
I have experience working with programming, graphic design, web development, etc. as a hobby but is that enough? Could I still succeed in the program if I am not stellar at math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
You may have to work a lot harder than those who have an aptitude for math, but there's no reason you can't succeed as long as you're persistent. Some people are just more naturally talented than others - that's just the way it is. Persistence is the great equalizer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Untitled wrote
I am really thinking of taking a major in computer science, but I am terrible at math.
I have experience working with programming, graphic design, web development, etc. as a hobby but is that enough? Could I still succeed in the program if I am not stellar at math?

A question to ask yourself is why you are interested in computer science. What exactly about the field interests you? This may make it easier to help you.

For instance, if you're not stellar at math but you're really interested in the programming aspects, you could go into Software Engineering.

If you've had difficulties with math because high school math sucks, perhaps university math would be easier for you to understand. Perhaps you'd enjoy it more because it's actually explained properly. It's very beautiful, to be honest.

You only mention web development, really. I would be cautious with taking this as a representation of the field of computer science. Unless you've done some really heavy things in Javascript/JQuery/etc., all you've really done is marked up pages. Which does not represent a typical development effort. A lot of web development is copy-paste to be honest. HTML/CSS are markup languages--they make things pretty--and not true programming languages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You describe yourself as both "terrible at math" and "not stellar at math"? Which one is it? You have to take quite a few math courses for a computer science major, and university math is in a whole other league. So if you pulled off Bs in high school math, then give it a shot. But if you really are "terrible at math," maybe you should choose another field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am not graduating anytime soon, but what does computer science consist of?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@TODude wrote
I am not graduating anytime soon, but what does computer science consist of?

Computer science is the science of computation. It is a field of applied mathematics, mostly relating to algorithms, optimization, and computability theory (think P vs NP if you're familiar). It is essentially a particular set of fields of discrete math.

In practice, computer science itself has many applications, particularly in the realm of software development. Databases, computer-generated graphics, networking, software for all sorts of purposes come out of it.

Expect to study the first set of items and apply it to reach the second set in a computer science degree. Alternatively, you could always go for a technical degree and skip the theory in the first set, studying only the second. Software engineering also skips a lot of the theory to focus on the things important to real-life software development.
Was this helpful? Yes 0