yconic - Managing Sports and School ** What to do!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Managing Sports and School ** What to do!!!

A photo of Nitrous Nitrous
Nearly every questions I have had going into my final year of highschool has been answered here on Studentforums, and I am really thankful for your guys everlasting support! So here is most likely my last one regarding my final year!

I incredibly want to play football this year!( I have played for the past three years) There is a problem that comes with it! I have Advanced Functions Last period and I will most likely miss the class once or twice a week until late October! I need to do really well in that class and school in general! I figure if I get myself a tutor I will be alright! Any thought or opinions

I want to get into a good business school( York, UTSG, Laurier BBA, Mcmaster BComm) and last year wasn`t exactly a great year.

Any thoughts on what I should do or if anybody else was in a similar situation? Should I change my schedule, OR should I not play football!

My schedule first sem is:World Issues, English, Economics LUNCH Advanced Functions

Thanks again for the hundreth time Student Forums! You guys are the best!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I find it odd that your sport makes you miss so much school. That wouldn't fly at my high school.

I would try to change your schedule or talk to the teacher and see if there is something you could work out so that it's not so bad. Maybe on the days you're going to miss the teacher might be willing to meet with you at lunch to go over what will be covered
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Agreed with ktel, your school should definitely have a better scheduling system. My school alternates 3rd and 4th period exactly for that reason.

That being said, you should definitely try to get your schedule changed. Obviously school should come first, but it doesn't really seem reasonable that you should have to give up sports because of one class.

I'm kind of in the same situation as you though, because my IB exams will fall right in the middle of rugby season. Given my history of arm injuries, it might not be the best idea for me to play this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay just for clarification Advanced Functions at my schools run every period so my thoughts were to drop World Issues and move advanced functions to first period! That way I don't miss any school :) And I might pick up a class fifth! Any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Nitrous wrote
Okay just for clarification Advanced Functions at my schools run every period so my thoughts were to drop World Issues and move advanced functions to first period! That way I don't miss any school :) And I might pick up a class fifth! Any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks again!

Unless you really need World Issues that sounds like a good plan. The decision is up to you of course, but that's what I would do in your situation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
Best thing is to talk to the teacher and set up a convenient time for both of you to discuss homework and concepts.

Teachers love kids that are in extracurricular activities because most of them used to be in them when they were in high school...they will be understanding.

Last year I was part of 7 school sports and a couple leadership clubs. Teachers were understanding. Yes maybe my marks would've been higher if i wasn't doing anything but I don't regret it.

Continue your sports. Quitting should be the last option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't exactly NEED World Issues yet it would be a mark booster! Something I am in need of!

I will definitely try and talk to my guidance department!

IF FOR SOME ODD REASON THEY SAY THEY CAN'T CHANGE IT, DOES ANYBODY HAVE TIPS ON HOW TO STAY ON TOP OF WORK AND NOT FALL BEHIND? Should I get a tutor? I plan on getting high 80's :)

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nitrous wrote
I don't exactly NEED World Issues yet it would be a mark booster! Something I am in need of!

I will definitely try and talk to my guidance department!

IF FOR SOME ODD REASON THEY SAY THEY CAN'T CHANGE IT, DOES ANYBODY HAVE TIPS ON HOW TO STAY ON TOP OF WORK AND NOT FALL BEHIND? Should I get a tutor? I plan on getting high 80's :)

Thanks!

Usually if there is room in the class you want to take then they can't deny you. If you want go directly to the principal and explain him/her the situation. Keep realistic goals for yourself and make sure to manage your time. Sometimes I feel when you have more things going on you tend to work better and more efficiently. Don't be shy to ask questions...especially for math. This may not work for u but...try associate your self with hard working students in your class it will definitely rub off.

No doubt you are prolly a hard working student...and you may just need extra motivation...if so find something to look forward to. (i.e. a reward)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright so the first week or so of school is done and I decided to play football again! But.....I am started to recognize that I haven't been able to complete all of my homework because by the time I get home eat, ect it's like 9:00 and I'm dead tired, not to mention some days I have work also

I am debating quitting footy to focus on school 100% because I realize I'm going nowhere with footy and school is more important!

Any suggestions

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Nitrous wrote
I am debating quitting footy to focus on school 100% because I realize I'm going nowhere with footy and school is more important!

ot a bad idea, but if you plan on applying to Queen's, Ivey and/or Waterloo they want to see extracurriculars.

Assuming you meet the requirement though for Laurier and Mac you're in. Not sure about York or any of the UofT's (Rotman might look at EC's).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loohopefull94 loohopefull94

^ in my school we had a unit called trig two, it is trigonometry with formulas, that unit is notorious for being disastrous and usually destroys your mark, that should be the only very hard unit. Keep football if you can and maybe see you next year at laurier
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm probably not gonna play football hahaha! I beleive I'm just going to go all out on school this semester(because this is most important sem of life) and play sports and stuff next where I have 3 easy classes. Relgion, Data and Int. Bus! So if anyone has anything to share or thinks I should play? lemme know! Thanks again everyone!

:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela

@loohopefull94 wrote

^ in my school we had a unit called trig two, it is trigonometry with formulas, that unit is notorious for being disastrous and usually destroys your mark, that should be the only very hard unit. Keep football if you can and maybe see you next year at laurier

That unit was pretty easy. If you had a problem with grade 11 trig 2, you might want to go over it again a few times. Trig 2 in Advanced Functions is the exact same thing with radians instead of degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela

@loohopefull94 wrote

That unit was pretty easy for me but I agree it was the hardest unit. If you had a problem with grade 11 trig 2, you might want to go over it again a few times. Trig 2 in Advanced Functions is the exact same thing with radians instead of degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

for me I really can't go a day without playing sports...buts that me. Football takes ALLOT of time. Just because of the size of the team and different aspects of the game to work on.

So its up to you. This may be the last year you play organized sports...so I wouldn't lose the opportunity.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
If I were you i would stick to the football.

If you clear up too much time to study, you just end up procrastinating more.

And then you have so much free time you end up random useless crap on the computer for hours on end, in which could have been football playing time.

But then again i dont know how much time football takes =) could you give us a number?
Was this helpful? Yes 0