yconic - Marking Systems in Uni?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Marking Systems in Uni?

A photo of Lilyanne Lilyanne
Hey guys! :)

I've been hearing about marking schemes like bell-curving...can anyone explain to me what exactly happens in that?

And are there any other marking schemes I should watch out for in uni?

Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_curve_grading

Essentially they boost everybody's mark so that they have a specific class average... The lower your mark before the bell curve the more it will benefit you. If you have a 95% before bell curve it really isn't going to help you at all.

The only class that I had bell curve me in first year was first semester 'Physics for the Life Sciences'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You don't need to be concerned about the bell curve at Western. Not common at all.

Bell curving isn't as mathematical as the name suggests. In a class of, say, 100 people. The three or so people with the highest marks at the end of the class are going to end up with A+, regardless of their percentage mark (be it 97% or 57%). The eight or so people with next highest marks are going to end up with an A in the class, again regardless of percentage mark. And it keeps going...

No other schemes that I can think of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok thanks alot! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
You don't need to be concerned about the bell curve at Western. Not common at all.

Bell curving isn't as mathematical as the name suggests. In a class of, say, 100 people. The three or so people with the highest marks at the end of the class are going to end up with A+, regardless of their percentage mark (be it 97% or 57%). The eight or so people with next highest marks are going to end up with an A in the class, again regardless of percentage mark. And it keeps going...

WOW, really? thats an interesting way to mark...quite fair, especially if the course is difficult for everybody!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Emaad13 wrote

WOW, really? thats an interesting way to mark...quite fair, especially if the course is difficult for everybody!

Yeah, but not when you're on the wrong end of the bell. Its fairness is pretty situational to be honest. And remember, our good friends at UofT get belled DOWN.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote
Its fairness is pretty situational to be honest.

Bingo. It's good because your mark in a class shows how you compare with your peers, but it can also be bad for that reason. If your classmates are top-notch, then getting a B (i.e. average) means you're an average top-notch student. A B grade, however, usually means you're an average student, and that's how most people (employers, grad schools, professional schools) will interpret your B grade, as they don't know the calibre of your classmates. When your mark is a comparison of your performance to that of your classmates, you really have to know the strength of your classmates. Unfortunately, that's not so easy to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@Emaad13 wrote

Yeah, but not when you're on the wrong end of the bell. Its fairness is pretty situational to be honest. And remember, our good friends at UofT get belled DOWN.

+1
True, that makes sense!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@SUMmer123456 wrote
And remember, our good friends at UofT get belled DOWN.

This has only happened once a few years ago. It's not a perennial occurrence. We either get bell-curved up, or receive our raw grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

This is new information to me. I thought we always just got our percentage..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, what I said there only applies if your class is "curved." Because it is information to you and because you go to Western, I'm going to take a strong guess and say that your classes are probably NOT curved. i.e. all that matters is your percentage mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
At UWO they'll tell you if they curve your mark. it's quite rare actually. Most of the time profs just look at exams and pull the hard questions out. Don't be worried about marking systems. They're not out to get you. Everything you need to know for each class will be laid out clearly in the course syllabus. It has to be. That's university policy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0