yconic - Marriage
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Marriage

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I'm really tired right now (it's 4 am!), so I'll just ask simply: are you planning on getting married one day?

I think most people would say yes to this, but I don't know...
I've been thinking about it, and I think marriage would just make things more complicated, especially if you want a divorce (don't half of all marriages end in divorce?).

I think just getting engaged would be nice. You'll have rings, your engaged status will let others know you're in serious relationship, and you won't feel tied down. :P I see marriage as just legally owning each other. ....

Who says you have to take a honeymoon after getting married? Why not have a honeymoon once engaged? :cheers:

I guess one could argue that getting married shows that you trust each other, have faith in your love, etc., but I think you could still have a great relationship without getting married.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on marriage?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
44 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Yikes, this'll turn into a guys vs girls thread, won't it?

Lemme just get the ball rolling here... *evil smirk*

1. It's outdated and useless
2. Costs too much money
3. The positively most arrogant thing to do
4. We aren't monogamous creatures.
5. Your women turns uggo

*accomplished yawn*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@chatmike wrote
Yikes, this'll turn into a guys vs girls thread, won't it?

Lemme just get the ball rolling here... *evil smirk*

1. It's outdated and useless
2. Costs too much money
3. The positively most arrogant thing to do4. We aren't monogamous creatures.
5. Your women turns uggo

*accomplished yawn*

Explain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I want to get married because I want to have kids. There are some benefits for your children you don't receive as a non-married but common-law couple (eg. sick leave to take care of spouse/child, visitation rights, automatic inheritance, tax deductions, etc) - it depends on where you live but as a married couple you definitely receive all these rights, whereas you may not as a common-law couple.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Marriage is still incredibly relevant to society today. Marriage creates the close-knit, essential family unit that serves the purpose of raising strong, principled kids. Kids coming from unwed parents are more likely to be addicted to drugs and alcohol, more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

I think just getting engaged would be nice. You'll have rings, your engaged status will let others know you're in serious relationship, and you won't feel tied down.

That's a complete illusion of freedom. If you have kids, a house, or anything together you'll still be tied down. Plus the emotional bond, it's not like you could just go see someone else whenever you wanted.

We aren't monogamous creatures.

Lolwut.

I think people marry to early and too sporadically. If given some thought, I see nothing wrong with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@ARMY101 wrote
Kids coming from unwed parents are more likely to be addicted to drugs and alcohol, more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.

Holy crap! I better get married then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@ARMY101 wrote
Kids coming from unwed parents are more likely to be addicted to drugs and alcohol, more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.

How on earth did you come up with this..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@cosstickxx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

How on earth did you come up with this..?

@shirlx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Marriage is still incredibly relevant to society today. Marriage creates the close-knit, essential family unit that serves the purpose of raising strong, principled kids. Kids coming from unwed parents are more likely to be addicted to drugs and alcohol, more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.

dude where do you get your information from? outdated religious pamphlets and bumper stickers? quit spewing bull

Brian Crowley, Fearful Symmetry: The Fall and Rise of Canada's Founding Values. It's not bull. This source is incredibly well backed with studies from across the globe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
First of all, I can't trust that you properly interpreted the author's writing. Secondly, and if you did properly interpret the author, those statistical relationships you mentioned are correlations. I really hope you realize what that means for those relationships. Parents who are unwed are probably much more likely to be in poorer situations than parents who are wed. I'm sure they're more likely than wed parents to be uneducated, smokers, criminals, low income/impoverished, and less healthy. Because they are more likely to be those, their children are more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents. Because I am an educated, non-smoker, non-criminal, very likely to be higher income, very healthy person, my children, if I were to have any, would probably equally likely be good kids regardless of whether I was married or not. All that those correlations tell any reasonable person is that the type of parents who are not married are also the type who have kids who are more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
First of all, I can't trust that you properly interpreted the author's writing. Secondly, and if you did properly interpret the author, those statistical relationships you mentioned are correlations. I really hope you realize what that means for those relationships. Parents who are unwed are probably much more likely to be in poorer situations than parents who are wed. I'm sure they're more likely than wed parents to be uneducated, smokers, criminals, low income/impoverished, and less healthy. Because they are more likely to be those, their children are more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents. Because I am an educated, non-smoker, non-criminal, very likely to be higher income, very healthy person, my children, if I were to have any, would probably equally likely be good kids regardless of whether I was married or not. All that those correlations tell any reasonable person is that the type of parents who are not married are also the type who have kids who are more likely to be murderers, more likely to commit suicide, and a plethora of other issues seen to a lesser degree in kids belonging to wed parents.

Agreed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@ARMY101 wrote

You should sign this. I didn't even have to read the poster's name to know it was you ARMY101. You should run for office one day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

You should sign this. I didn't even have to read the poster's name to know it was you ARMY101. You should run for office one day.

I actually agree with his position.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
Most people are speechless when I tell them I don't care to get married, as if it implies I want to be a hermit or something. I say I want to hold a long-term relationship, but I don't see the point in spending large sums of money for a symbol of commitment. As has already been pointed out, so many marriages end in divorce that even the symbolism is losing its significance. When I ask people why marriage is important they usually can't produce a response beyond "well...because...it's marriage." It's amazing how easily traditions are accepted without being scrutinized for their value.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@Zion wrote
Most people are speechless when I tell them I don't care to get married, as if it implies I want to be a hermit or something. I say I want to hold a long-term relationship, but I don't see the point in spending large sums of money for a symbol of commitment. As has already been pointed out, so many marriages end in divorce that even the symbolism is losing its significance. When I ask people why marriage is important they usually can't produce a response beyond "well...because...it's marriage." It's amazing how easily traditions are accepted without being scrutinized for their value.

^ Exactly! :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
Disregard Women
Accumulate Wealth

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@EastSideBoyz wrote
Disregard Women
Accumulate Wealth

*Disregard females, aquire currency. ;)

And for marriage, Yes. (Y)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX
I would never get married in my entire life. My dad divorced twice and that is when my hatred for majority of women started.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted