yconic - Master's Degrees, MBA,MAcc etc for Post-Grad
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Master's Degrees, MBA,MAcc etc for Post-Grad

A photo of BOSS10 BOSS10
So far i'm aware that after completeing the BAFM degree at Waterloo you can achieve an accelerated Masters of Accounting in 9 months

Also, after finishing a BComm at McMaster,you can attain an MBA in 2 years

How exactly does the MBA and MAcc work with these two universities, like a summary how it is considered, how you are admitted into them and such...

Furthermore do the other accredited universities provide any Master's designations ? Schulich, Laurier, Queen's, Brock ?

Can an undergrad in these programs listed above ^ be sufficient to enter those Master's programs or must you acheieve an undergrad in that specific university (Waterloo, McMaster)

Lastly, how simple is it to apply for those Master's programs and which is better MAcc or MBA (majoring in accounting) in terms of focus towards CA/CFA designations.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Here is a list of MBA programs in Ontario. I would say MBA is better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
MAcc is focused toward attaining your CA (CMA, CGA) designation and furthering the education you receive in either an AFM, Math/CA or Biotech/CA program. It is open to students of the School of Accounting and Finance ONLY.

Here's a page worth of information on admission requirements for MAcc. To summarise, you need 75% average in all your courses in your last 2 years and you need 75% average in your 4th year AFM courses. (Source: http://accounting.uwaterloo.ca/macc/prospective.htm)

Admission requirements may change by the time you reach 4th year.

University of Waterloo Graduate Admission Requirement:
A 75% overall standing in the last two years, or equivalent, in an Honours Bachelor‟s degree or
equivalent is the minimum requirement for admission to a Master‟s program at the University of
Waterloo. Departments/Schools and Faculties may set higher admission requirements.
Minimum MAcc Admission Requirements:
1. Successful completion of any of the following University of Waterloo four-year Honours
undergraduate degrees with at least a 75% average in the last two years1:

Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management
BMath Chartered Accountancy Studies, or
BSc in Biotechnology Chartered Accountancy Studies
All undergraduate degree requirements must be met by February 1, 2011. Students who do not meet
this requirement are not permitted to complete the MAcc program.
AND
2. Completion of one of the following two sets of AFM courses with at least a 75% average:
(a) Either:

AFM 401 (Accounting Theory),
AFM 451 (Audit Strategy),
AFM 461 (Taxation),
AFM 481 (Cost Management Systems), and
AFM 491 (Advanced Financial Accounting)
(b) Or:

AFM 451 (Audit Strategy) or AFM 452 (Comprehensive/Operational Auditing),
AFM 481 (Cost Management Systems)
AFM 482 (Performance Measurement and Organization Control),
AFM 491 (Advanced Financial Accounting), and
MSCI 432 (Production and Service Operations Management).
The 2 year average is calculated using the course grades obtained in all courses completed beginning in the 3A
term and ending in the term immediately before commencement of MAcc studies.
Required Prerequisite Undergraduate Courses:
Students applying to the MAcc must also have successfully completed AFM 431 (or PHIL 215) and
MSCI 211 (or SCIBUS 225 or PSYCH 338 or, for Biotech/CA students only, HRM 200). Students who
have not completed both of these courses as part of their undergraduate degree may be able to pick up
one of the two during the MAcc winter term. However, it is recommended that both of these courses are
completed prior to the MAcc program, as we are not able to accommodate any conflicts in the MAcc
final exam schedule that result from registration in either of these courses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jimz Jimz
I wouldn't say the MAcc is a master's degree...I don't think many employers even know what that is. If they have to google it, then they won't consider it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jimz wrote
I wouldn't say the MAcc is a master's degree...I don't think many employers even know what that is. If they have to google it, then they won't consider it.

Well the Waterloo AFM program + MAcc is one of the most prestigious accounting-related programs in Canada, so...

And any decent employer will know what a MAcc is.

And you do realize it is a Masters of Accounting, so saying
I wouldn't say the MAcc is a master's degree

is pretty foolish.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Businesses and HR people that regularly hire accountants in Ontario will definitely know what MAcc is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0