yconic - Masters in Math
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Masters in Math

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Hey, my eventual goal is to get a masters degree in mathematics, while I know Waterloo Math/Business Administration would best prepare me for this, would a masters in mathematics still be an option if I go to Queens Commerce or UofT Rotman Commerce? My concern with Rotman commerce is that I heard the way UofT marks is that they expect every class to have an average of 66%, and if the class average is higher than that before exams, they make the exam really hard to bring the average down. If that's the case, then I don't really think I'd have the marks for grad school.

Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Your best bet would be to go to Waterloo and take every advanced math course offered, then start doing research as an undergrad. But I mean, it depends on the kind of grad degree you're looking for--pure math? Applied math? Financial math? I would focus your undergrad on figuring this out if you're not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Well I want a quant finance job, so financial math
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Why would anyone plan to do a specific postgraduate degree at 18. Like honestly...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@immaculatedx wrote
Why would anyone plan to do a specific postgraduate degree at 18. Like honestly...

+1

I dont see how you can go from a business degree to mathematics :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@immaculatedx wrote

Plenty of people love academia and know they would like to continue in the field. Lots of my classmates know they'd already like to go to grad school before having finished even their first year of undergrad. I know I'd like to go to grad school, but the exact topic of study is still in the air :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0