yconic - MAT157 or MAT137 at UofT.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MAT157 or MAT137 at UofT.

A photo of Phase Phase
Anyone else stuck deciding between the two? Personally, I want to learn to start writing proofs as soon as possible. Analysis I(MAT157) sounds like a pretty fun class, but I have heard horror stories of, apparently, math olympiads failing out of the class and dropping it.

Anyone who's taken the class or an equivalent class at a different school care to chime in? Would it be foolish to take a proof-heavy class coming just out of high school? If I were to take MAT137 (for general math and physics streams), then I won't be allowed to take a proof-y class until third year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of chhan92 chhan92
Analysis 1 is fun, but if you are more into application, then I suggest you taking MAT137, because MAT157 is more proof oriented (and also much harder). I took MAT157, did great, but I saw 50 people dropping after first test (out of 150), and Im pretty sure at least 25 people failed or near failure. So result of MAT157 depends on prof (Prof Murty (head of Math Dept) has so much care and had higher surviving rate than any other year)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted