yconic - Math at Desautels (McGill Commerce)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math at Desautels (McGill Commerce)

A photo of DanielM DanielM
I've been admitted everywhere: Schulich, Ivey, Queens, McGill and UBC... All for commerce. I'm heavily leaning towards McGill, however I know that you need to take 2 math courses first year; stats and calc. I absolutely hate and can't stand math, though I can do it with every strain of my brain focusing on it and only it.
How hard is the math at McGill? Any 2nd year students on the forum, or even alumni etc any help would be GREATLY appreciated!:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@DanielM wrote
I've been admitted everywhere: Schulich, Ivey, Queens, McGill and UBC... All for commerce. I'm heavily leaning towards McGill, however I know that you need to take 2 math courses first year; stats and calc. I absolutely hate and can't stand math, though I can do it with every strain of my brain focusing on it and only it.
How hard is the math at McGill? Any 2nd year students on the forum, or even alumni etc any help would be GREATLY appreciated!:cheers:

I'm not an upper year student or alumni but my sister went to Desautels and I've talked to quite a few current students (since many students from my school go to McGill every year).

The two math courses that you have to take (MATH 122 and MATH 123) are pretty easy. People can even take placement tests and get exempt from these to take MATH 133/140/141 so it shouldn't be a incredibly difficult or anything.

And the difficulty/quantity of math courses taken will depend heavily on the major you choose to pursue. From what I've heard, general management with concentrations (ex. organizational behaviour, operations management, etc.) generally dont have very much math. Majors in things such as International management, Information Systems, Marketing, etc. are also pretty qualitative programs.

When you take Major in Econ, there is very little math but all Honours courses are math intensive (Honours Econ, Honours Investment Management, Joint Honours Econ & Finance, etc)

And of course, Major in Mathematics will be extremely math-y.
Was this helpful? Yes 0