yconic - Math in Biomed and Health Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math in Biomed and Health Science

A photo of applesnack applesnack
I'm a grade 11 high school student in Ontario. I want to know how much of high school math you actually use in biomedical science or health science programs. (How much of advanced functions and calculus & vectors do you really use..?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Very little, unless you're taking math courses

The only math I encountered in health sci outside of taking a calc course were some minor calculations in chem, physics, stats, and epidemiology. And even then it wasn't complicated stuff, just punching numbers into a calculator.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missecret missecret
What about for Biomed? Especially UOttawa? And how hard are the chemistry courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@missecret wrote
What about for Biomed? Especially UOttawa? And how hard are the chemistry courses?

At UOttawa, you will be taking Organic Chemistry in your first year, in your second semester (after introductory chemistry). Intro chem will mostly be inorganic chemistry concepts such as electro, kinetics, and equilibria. It may touch upon synthesizing organic molecules, functional groups, polymers, and other basic properties or orgo. HOWEVER, you won't actually get to do the lab part until you're in the actual course, and from what I've heard: "Orgo is the hardest course you will ever take, ever". I'm sure it's not impossible, with hard work, but all the pre-lab work takes up more time than the actual lab (also heard from soneone else) and has to be PERFECT. Learn to do proper pre-labs in grade 12, so you'll be prepared for next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0