yconic - Math in the Wilfrid Laurier BBA Program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math in the Wilfrid Laurier BBA Program

A photo of stuebs stuebs
Hey student awards, I was accepted for Laurier's BBA. I am an average math student at best (70s in data and functions) and I am wondering whether I will be able to cope with the math requirements. Laurier seems to be very focused on math (math test in the summer before semester1, required calculus first year, stats second year) and I also hear calculus is used in the economics courses. I plan on doing the least amount of math as possible to get my degree, but will I survive the first two years? Also, Laurier has minimum mark requirements for business courses, is it the same with the calculus course first year? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of DecaPresident DecaPresident
From what I know, you only have to take calculus in first year. However you take a lot of stat type courses throughout the 4 year program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@stuebs wrote
Hey student awards, I was accepted for Laurier's BBA. I am an average math student at best (70s in data and functions) and I am wondering whether I will be able to cope with the math requirements. Laurier seems to be very focused on math (math test in the summer before semester1, required calculus first year, stats second year) and I also hear calculus is used in the economics courses. I plan on doing the least amount of math as possible to get my degree, but will I survive the first two years? Also, Laurier has minimum mark requirements for business courses, is it the same with the calculus course first year? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Calculus and math are used fairly extensively throughout almost any (good) business program. You are going to have calculus first year, stats in other years, and then courses such as business decision making and i think financial modelling which uses calculus and math principles.

It will depend on what youa re going through for as well. If you are going through to be an accountant, you would just take the minimal/easiest amount of math courses, and for the most part accounting isn't very complicated math. But if you are looking to go into finance, you will be taking some fin. modelling-quantitative courses where you will need some good math skills to succeed.

Average math student --> average in your class or one of the better? (hard school? are you in IB/AP?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Laurier BBA math isn't that difficult. If you're average in math, I would suggest just spending more time on it, but you'll get through. Pretty much everyone does.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stuebs stuebs

@g93 wrote

Calculus and math are used fairly extensively throughout almost any (good) business program. You are going to have calculus first year, stats in other years, and then courses such as business decision making and i think financial modelling which uses calculus and math principles.

It will depend on what youa re going through for as well. If you are going through to be an accountant, you would just take the minimal/easiest amount of math courses, and for the most part accounting isn't very complicated math. But if you are looking to go into finance, you will be taking some fin. modelling-quantitative courses where you will need some good math skills to succeed.

Average math student --> average in your class or one of the better? (hard school? are you in IB/AP?)

Average math student in my high school, which is just a regular public school. I plan on majoring in marketing, is it generally softer on math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@stuebs wrote

@g93 wrote

Average math student in my high school, which is just a regular public school. I plan on majoring in marketing, is it generally softer on math?

I don't think it will be too bad. You could go into marketing and do a lot of math, but you could also stay away from it too, at least from what I've been told. And Laurier math, while maybe not being easy as one of the posters said above, but will be easier than math/calc at say UofT, Queen's or Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stuebs stuebs
Thanks for your input. Any past or current Laurier students on here that can give me some info? I'm really stressing about this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@stuebs wrote
Thanks for your input. Any past or current Laurier students on here that can give me some info? I'm really stressing about this.

I would suggest you PM vincerz (a second year student). He doesn't come on often now, but if you PM him he may answer.

http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=profile&u=7550
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of jmb jmb
what is this about a math test in the summer before semester 1?
details please?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jmb wrote
what is this about a math test in the summer before semester 1?
details please?

Calculus Preparation Evaluation (CPE) Link

It was available to be written April 25, actually, but a lot of people just end up wriitng it later (but the sooner the better).

You need to write the CPE before you register for your math course in first year, which is calculus. There is MA129 (easy, most take it), MA103 (harder, some take it), MA110 (very hard, 1.0 credit, most regret taking it, only for those serious about math)

The CPE is a calculus test online (can do at any time, takes 70-90 minutes) using Maple software. It is not intended to be difficult if you have taken calculus in high school.

You need a 70 in order to take MA110. Otherwise, your score does not matter. They will give a recommendation on which math course to take based on your score. You do not have to follow the recommendation. If you fail, it does not really matter. Laurier wants to assess how their future students will do, and want you to try and see what skill level you're at (remember that calculus is not a prereq). You could cheat if you really wanted to, but there is no point in that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
The CPE test is just bull lol... its all advance functions and easy to get a good grade even though what you get doesn't impact your admission. I'd recommend you to take MA129 since its "considered" as the easiest calculus course in first year. But let me tell you something, if you haven't taken calculus in high school, this course will be challenging to you unless you are really good at math. Couple of my friends who did not take calculus in high school were struggling in this course and ended up with 50s (GPA 1-3). The final exam average is around 50-55% and the midterm average is around 70% so you know you will have to work hard in order to get that double digit GPA. But a lot of my friends who took calculus in high school ended up with 11 and 12 GPA and thought it was a bird course and they barely even did any work lol...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Decisions Decisions
which of these programs is better towards doing a CA?
AFM-FM
BBA at laurier
BBA/Bmath at Laurier
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Decisions Decisions
sry wrong thread
Was this helpful? Yes 0