yconic - Math Requirements for Medical School / Dentistry / Pharmacy
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math Requirements for Medical School / Dentistry / Pharmacy

A photo of academicgirl academicgirl
Are any math courses required to apply to medical school (dentistry & pharmacy as well)?

Also, I know that many undergrads are enrolling in first year calc and I'm wondering why...? I know that for most science-based programs, a math (either calc or stats) is required. Why do so many tend to choose calc over stats? Does it perhaps help with other subjects (e.g. physics) or act as a better prep for admissions tests (eg MCAT)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
Each medical school has its own requirements. I do know that many US medical schools require calculus. So those who plan on having the US as a backup if they don't make it into medical school in Canada will want to ensure that they take calculus. Also, yes, calculus does help with physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
No for med school (at least in Canada, some US schools prob require it).

A lot of people take 1st year calc as a bird course (I did). And calc is easier than stats imo (had to take stats in 2nd year and I hated it). Stats is very tedious imo. Also it just seemed very pointless since nobody actually calculates stats by hand anymore, you use software to do it for you. Every time the prof went "you will never actually have to calculate the multiple ANOVA by hand, but here's how you do it anyway...", I just went "why am i learning this?" You don't need neither calc nor stats for the MCAT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@inthemaking wrote

A lot of people take 1st year calc as a bird course (I did). And calc is easier than stats imo (had to take stats in 2nd year and I hated it). Stats is very tedious imo. Also it just seemed very pointless since nobody actually calculates stats by hand anymore, you use software to do it for you. Every time the prof went "you will never actually have to calculate the multiple ANOVA by hand, but here's how you do it anyway...", I just went "why am i learning this?" You don't need neither calc nor stats for the MCAT.

Computers also calculate the integrals and differentials, but you still have to have a fundamental understanding of the concepts of integral and differential calculus. Using your logic, learning calculus and even differential equations is useless, since a computer does most of the grunt work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
^ Fair enough. I'm just jaded because my own stats experience wasn't great (prof wasn't very effective and the lectures were poorly structured).

All that being said, stats is more useful than calc in medicine because it helps you understand the results of clinical trials (eg. if you're a Dr and a patient asks you about drug X vs. drug Y, you can pull up journal articles that ran clinical trials on these 2 drugs to compare their effectiveness). So most people end up taking calc (because 1st year calc is usually just an extension of grade 12 calc if not the same), but stats is more relevant to the medical field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0