yconic - Math, statistics, or civil engineering (trying again)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math, statistics, or civil engineering (trying again)

A photo of rolledoats rolledoats
Thank you all for the great advice in response to my last question. I've had a chance to think about things for a while and I feel a lot more confident now.

Basically, I've slacked off and failed to challenge myself academically. Having admitted that, I am trying harder now and I want to move forward. Originally I wanted to be an engineer...that seemed like too much work before but now I think I could do it. I can still do civil or electrical engineering if I take a class next summer (civil seems like a better fit to me). Or I can go for mathematics or statistics, where there is enough overlap that I don't need to pick now.

I like the practical nature of engineering and I like doing calculations; also, I would get a sense of redemption if I succeeded in that program. For math, the puzzle solving and very broad nature of the subject are nice. I wrote the AP Statistics exam and that was really fun...but I know the field is much more advanced than that, my dad works in a related area and it is all computers now.

As mentioned in my last post, I tend to struggle a bit with lack of structure in my life. The more flexible nature of the math/stats curriculum is kind of intimidating...but I am already on track for those programs and maybe this is just a step I need to take as part of growing up.

Thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
0 replies