yconic - Math Undergrad and then MBA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math Undergrad and then MBA?

A photo of funnie funnie
How's that sound? I think you need strong math skills to really get the high paid business job, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Its a great combo, my mum actually wants me to goto waterloo getting a BMath and then do the MBA, but im just not into waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Math sure builds those Numeracy skills.

But you'll be missing out on Accounting, Finance, and other Business knowledge.
Also, your work experience most likely won't be related to Business.

Actuarial Science would be the closest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote
Its a great combo, my mum actually wants me to goto waterloo getting a BMath and then do the MBA, but im just not into waterloo.

Hi, may I ask why you have the 1 after every course code of yours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It depends on what you want to get into. If you want to get into marketing, math doesn't have too many applications. Compare that to finance, where math is much more prominent.

Perhaps you should consider the Waterloo/Laurier BMath/BBA double degree or a Western math degree and Ivey HBA combo.

Don't just do a BMath and plan to work in management at a company and then go for your MBA in a few years.

The two options I gave there give you lots of business options as well as tons of math content.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@2Seven wrote

@Joshki wrote

Thats how a standard course code should be isnt it? i thought 1 stands for the number of credit for this course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Joshki wrote

@2Seven wrote

@Joshki wrote

Thats how a standard course code should be isnt it? i thought 1 stands for the number of credit for this course.

It's an I, not a 1

Notice how civics isn't CVC2D0.5 (I don't know what the course code is btw)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

@2Seven wrote

@Joshki wrote

For us, it's a 0 (zero)... like ENG 4U0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@2Seven wrote

@Joshki wrote

@2Seven wrote

@Joshki wrote

For us, it's a 0 (zero)... like ENG 4U0

I don't think it matters. IB courses are given Ontario high school equivalents with a 7 at the end.
i.e. SL IB math counts as MCV 4U7 and MHF 4U7
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Theoretical math is going to be pretty useless in business (from Today's understanding of it). If you like that stuff and want to maximize your options, do engineering in undergrad and then MBA. That's a deadly combination today. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 4getmenot 4getmenot

@MINTOK wrote
Theoretical math is going to be pretty useless in business (from Today's understanding of it). If you like that stuff and want to maximize your options, do engineering in undergrad and then MBA. That's a deadly combination today. ;)

Not sure how MINTOK defines theoretical math, but here at one of the top business schools in the U.S., Math skills is considered at 3 points in time - in the MBA admissions process, the placement into MBA classes and in the job-market application cycle. I am not qualified to be drawing a line between what's theoretical and what's not but it does appear that more math, no matter what type, helps you if a MBA is your goal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Math is a good undergraduate program on your logic (But Engineering would be a lot better with the same logic) but not that necessary in business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0