yconic - Math
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math

A photo of MisbahS MisbahS
How many hours should one spend at math everyday?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
Varies upon skill level.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Finish all assigned questions, there is no specific time fool

Can I ask you a question so vague such as how long does sex last..? Different for everyone
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Yeah, depends on the difficulty, your ability, the subject, etc.

Math is one of those things that is good to review often though (I'd say within every 1-3 days if you're in uni).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@Zion wrote

Math is one of those things that is good to review often though (I'd say within every 1-3 days if you're in uni).

1-3 days? Hardly. You can get by doing all the problems a week before the midterms and exams. Calculus (in Science programs) are relatively birdy, and don't require much effort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@Reality wrote

@Zion wrote

1-3 days? Hardly. You can get by doing all the problems a week before the midterms and exams. Calculus (in Science programs) are relatively birdy, and don't require much effort.

I think he meant you should look over your notes every 3 days, not start studying 3 days before the exam
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
My biggest hint on doing math problems is to MAKE SURE you do the HARD ones. Easy questions won't help in a test situation because tests aren't the easy questions (or else everyone would get perfect of course!). Also, you'll learn better if you do those questions 100% on your own - if there's a question you find difficult I encourage you to spend as long as you need to (could be an hour or more - I know for some proofs it takes me a while, especially in algebra) because getting someone else to do it for you will never help you as much as trying to get it on your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steve steve
Math is something that ttakes time and practice. Some people are just naturals and don't need to practice too much. For those who need high marks in math, and usually get low marks, I would recommend a solid 2 hours a day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Nyx wrote

@Reality wrote

@Zion wrote

I think he meant you should look over your notes every 3 days, not start studying 3 days before the exam

Yeah, I meant review your recent notes...which is what any good student would do. Calculus is a bird course? At where, DeVry?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mary1am Mary1am
What are the class sizes for a math class in uni? i mean its kind of hard to concentrate on something like math in a class with so many people right? so i think math notes should be reviewed after every class for math in uni...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@Nyx wrote

@Reality wrote

@Zion wrote

No, I know what he meant. You don't need to review your notes every 3 days if you're adequately proficient at math. And first year calculus isn't very difficult either.. those who flunk don't deserve to be in science programs.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nella.ava nella.ava
make sure you go to all classes, if you don't attend but do the work, you wont get very far. based on your ability you need to make sure of doing the minimum assigned and do not hesitate to ask for extra help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of karlene karlene
i hate math:ncool:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ But you were able to count to five no problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ThuRyGuy ThuRyGuy
It just depends on how you good you feel with the topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jz jz
I would advise frequents visits to your university's math help room. Don't wait until before the exam to get your questions answered. Go as often as you need and make sure you understand, don't pretend or be embarrassed. The TAs are super helpful and remember: they've been through it too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MisbahS wrote

Depends on how often you need to use it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
My biggest hint on doing math problems is to MAKE SURE you do the HARD ones. Easy questions won't help in a test situation because tests aren't the easy questions (or else everyone would get perfect of course!). Also, you'll learn better if you do those questions 100% on your own - if there's a question you find difficult I encourage you to spend as long as you need to (could be an hour or more - I know for some proofs it takes me a while, especially in algebra) because getting someone else to do it for you will never help you as much as trying to get it on your own.

This, more than anything. Doing a few easy problems, then saying to yourself "This is a breeze!" is a sure way to mess up. I find that if you are absolutely stuck and about to give up, it can help to go listen to a single song on your iPod, then go back and try again.

And yes, it can/will take hours for some concepts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockey hockey
Do your homework and get extra help from your teacher or a tutor if you need it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of happinessnlife happinessnlife
Don't ever sleep in class. Sit closer up to the front, and if you don't finish up you're homework, add it on to your review : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AshleyLynne AshleyLynne
It depends on how well u understand the current topic. If what your learning makes perfect sense to you then just do enough to keep it fresh in your mind, if your struggling then do the practice questions/ homework until you feel more comfortable with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MikeHawkA535 MikeHawkA535

@MisbahS wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of desjardins9 desjardins9

@MikeHawkA535 wrote

@MisbahS wrote

i agree strongly with Mike Hawk. 7 hours is a good amount of time to study math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterlooser waterlooser
depends on what type of math. usually calc is pretty straight forward and concrete so doing some examples and understanding how the proofs work is alright. algebra, stats and other fun things is completely different. linear, for example, you need to fully understand every single lemma, proof, theorem out there. algebra and stats are a lot more abstract which takes quite a bit of time to understand ):

don't be afraid to ask for help too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@MikeHawkA535 wrote

@MisbahS wrote

7 hours everyday?!
that's a bit intensive.
i'll spend 7 hours if i have a test the next day, but i'll spend around 2-3 hours every day or every other day doing homework/problems.
it really depends what kind of math and how familiar you are with the topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0