yconic - Math/CA!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math/CA!!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi everyone!

I've applied to the Math/CA program at Waterloo and I'm really hoping to get in. In my first semester of grade 12 I have an average of 98%. On my AIF I have listed 20 awards (both academic and non-academic) and 9 extracurricular activities including travel, student council, dance, being President of my school's Math Club, and helped create a high school Dance/Figure Skating course for schools in my school board. The only math competition I have listed is the Euclid coming up in April and I only have rare tutoring as employment. I'm not all that great at English, so I'm worried that my AIF may not have been worded quite as nicely as some peoples but all of the grammar is correct and I've answered exactly what they've asked for.

Now to my point, do I have high chances? I'm an extremely anxious person and worry about everything, and I think I just need to hear if I will be a competitive contender.

And if not, how about the Accounting and Financial Management program? I've applied to both.

If someone can answer and help it would be greatly appreciated.:cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Honestly, I was very interested in the program as well, but now I realize it's not as good as it sounds. You're forced into accounting, and the math is completely useless in the field. The better alternative is the double degree (math/business with Laurier). You still get the same math, but instead of being forced into accounting, you have the option of doing anything business related. Laurier students do exceptionally well in accounting, and (if I recall correctly) 3 out of the 10 DD students who did the UFE exam were on the honor roll.

To your original question: Yes, you're competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
Chill man you will get in 100%

how did you manage a 98% average because that is very impressive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
Chill man you will get in 100%

how did you manage a 98% average because that is very impressive

Thanks. I'm a natural worry-wart and just need to relax.

I'm a very, very hard worker. I had 4U Chem, 4U Physics, 4U Advanced Functions and took 4M Accounting through eLearning because they couldn't offer it to me through my highschool. I did all my homework and studied really hard. As soon as I got home from school until about 9 or 10 I was doing homework. I naturally have a great memory, but it took a lot of dedication.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
Wow, thats quite impressive. Ya I'd definitely say that you'll get in!
good luck!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If all your courses were done through eLearning ... which I assume is online school, then I'd say there's a chance you might get rejected solely because of that.

However, your marks are competitive enough but keep in mind Math/CA usually waits to see Euclid scores and because you don't have any other contests, they'll probably wait to see your scores and AFM doesn't give any acceptances until after the AFMAA's where they can see your writing skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy

@immaculatedx wrote
If all your courses were done through eLearning ... which I assume is online school, then I'd say there's a chance you might get rejected solely because of that.

However, your marks are competitive enough but keep in mind Math/CA usually waits to see Euclid scores and because you don't have any other contests, they'll probably wait to see your scores and AFM doesn't give any acceptances until after the AFMAA's where they can see your writing skills.

I believe they JeanetteCyr meant that they were taking three courses locally and accounting through eLearning because it was not offered at their school. One course online isn't a big deal. In fact, I'd say it shows initiative to take a course related to your career interests when it is not offered at your school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@CanadaBoy wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

I believe they JeanetteCyr meant that they were taking three courses locally and accounting through eLearning because it was not offered at their school. One course online isn't a big deal. In fact, I'd say it shows initiative to take a course related to your career interests when it is not offered at your school.

Oh I guess I misread.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@CanadaBoy wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Oh I guess I misread.

Yes, I'm sorry. I took the first three through my regular high school and only took accounting online. I'm hoping it shows some initiative. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddie_271 maddie_271

@IanSharer wrote
Honestly, I was very interested in the program as well, but now I realize it's not as good as it sounds. You're forced into accounting, and the math is completely useless in the field. The better alternative is the double degree (math/business with Laurier). You still get the same math, but instead of being forced into accounting, you have the option of doing anything business related. Laurier students do exceptionally well in accounting, and (if I recall correctly) 3 out of the 10 DD students who did the UFE exam were on the honor roll.

To your original question: Yes, you're competitive.

I think that you sound very competitive, I do not know much about the program but I'm sure most people would kill to have that much going for them. I quoted tha above message because I thought that the information sounded very valuable and I definitely agree with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0