yconic - Math/CA Program at Waterloo General Inquiry
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math/CA Program at Waterloo General Inquiry

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong
I've just recently applied to the Math/CA program at Waterloo and am wondering if I even have a chance at being accepted. My average at the moment is 94, and I expect an average of about 93 or so by the end of the year. In terms of EC's, I've accumulated over 1000hrs of community service, co-founded a site for struggling students, won multiple awards, and placed in lots of competitions including DECA and Waterloo Math Competitions.

Just based on this information alone, would I be considered a competitor for this program or do I still need to accumulate more EC's?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of lookatme lookatme
I applied last year and I got accepted to the Math/CA program. I think you SHOULD be competitive, but I had a 96 average and less than stellar ECs. I don't know if the 93 average is going to cut it, considering they only allocate 12 additional marks onto the AIF. Your best bet would be to raise your average up. :) Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I'd say you're competitive, but far from guaranteed. It depends on how they judge your ECs. It would help if your average was closer to 95 as well. The program is very competitive so don't be too disappointed if you don't get in. Best of luck!

^Why did you apply to Math/CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong
Thanks for your input, and g93, I'm planning to pursue a CA designation and the math/ca program at waterloo seems like the best choice because I can pretty much graduate really close to or even with a CA designation

I've also applied to AFM - WPA but I'd rather take math electives and get a minor in CS rather than take arts electives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BrendanSong wrote
Thanks for your input, and g93, I'm planning to pursue a CA designation and the math/ca program at waterloo seems like the best choice because I can pretty much graduate really close to or even with a CA designation

I've also applied to AFM - WPA but I'd rather take math electives and get a minor in CS rather than take arts electives.

Sorry, that was @lookatme

All of the programs at the Waterloo School of Accounting and Finance are excellent, they have put a lot of effort into carefully planning them. Hope to see you there next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
94 is competitive but in no way guaranteed.

This is how Math/CA works: You have your base mark out of 100 and another AIF score out of 12. They combine it to give you a score out of 112 and they usually make a cutoff of about 103-104.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You don't really take arts electives. If you think Math/CA is "better" for pursuing your CA over AFM-PA, you're gravely mistaken.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@immaculatedx wrote
You don't really take arts electives. If you think Math/CA is "better" for pursuing your CA over AFM-PA, you're gravely mistaken.

Yep, there used to be an "Area of Interest" requirement in AFM, and many people would do an economics or comp sci AOI.

Now you have 5 electives (unless you take extra courses) and you can just take random electives, but it's still common to do an economics option/minor (many say it looks good on a resume) or you could do international studies, comp sci, math, history, science, etc. etc. Definitely not limited to arts.

The latter statement is also true. If you do not know what the potential benefits of Math/CA are and have not taken into account the potential downsides, do yourself a favour and don't apply (or start thinking about it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0