yconic - Math/CA vs. DD
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Math/CA vs. DD

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
I know this has probably been done already, but I'm curious to know why the Math/CA program is more popular than the DD program considering the DD doesn't force you to become an accountant. They both arguably have roughly the same workload, and I wouldn't say the AFM faculty is better than Laurier's business. They both provide the same co-op opportunities. Am I missing anything?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You can't say which program is "better" ... because that depends on the person. People are attracted to Math/CA because it's hard to get into. If one program is harder to get into than another, then people automatically assume its better.

It used to be my first choice until I came to my senses and my first choice is now MathDD. I'm more interested in finance and don't want to be locked into a CA career pursuit. If you're 100% SET on accounting, then sure Math/CA makes a lot of sense, but DD probably has way better career/salary potential simply because its relevant for finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

and no, there aren't the same co-op opportunities, Math/CA people get all the AFM coop jobs - they're basically AFM students with all their electives used on math courses. DD jobs can either be more mathie e.g. actuarial science or like more business/finance - y, like analysis, banking, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@immaculatedx wrote
You can't say which program is "better" ... because that depends on the person. People are attracted to Math/CA because it's hard to get into. If one program is harder to get into than another, then people automatically assume its better.

It used to be my first choice until I came to my senses and my first choice is now MathDD. I'm more interested in finance and don't want to be locked into a CA career pursuit. If you're 100% SET on accounting, then sure Math/CA makes a lot of sense, but DD probably has way better career/salary potential simply because its relevant for finance.

I wasn't trying to say one is better than the other; I was simply trying to find out why one is more popular than the other. Like you said, the Math/CA locks one into a CA designation, while the DD is much more versatile. So why is more popular and subsequently harder to get into?

@immaculatedx wrote
and no, there aren't the same co-op opportunities, Math/CA people get all the AFM coop jobs - they're basically AFM students with all their electives used on math courses. DD jobs can either be more mathie e.g. actuarial science or like more business/finance - y, like analysis, banking, etc.

I meant they both are co-op programs and you can obtain CA firm positions with either program. Again, like you said, the DD provides much more diverse opportunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The DD program is quite new, first graduating class was only about 4 years ago so that can explain some.

Regarding why Math/CA is more popular and thus harder to get into, I guess it can just be explained that people in high school just don't know much. I think DD has way more potential especially regarding finance and the math is MUCH more relevant whereas the math part of the Math/CA is just kind of out of interest since 1)You get way less math courses because of all the accounting prereqs and 2) You're gonna be stuck doing CA jobs without any use of real math at all.

Also, I think a lot of HS kids don't really know anything about finance and all the branches of it but most kids know accounting and how it is a relatively decent safe job. When people are looking to go Finance, they think Ivey or Queens, but they really don't know about the more quantitative side. Waterloo is known for their AFM program, so naturally people think an upgrade (The Math/CA) is really awesome.

I'm just basing this on my own opinion and observations though so feel free to be critical : P
Was this helpful? Yes 0