yconic - Mathematics guide
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mathematics guide

A photo of Keiser561993 Keiser561993
although they SAY you can take it together, it is definitely NOT recommended. doable but will require some extra hard work. However data management and MHF4U would be reasonable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Haru Haru
although they SAY you can take it together, it is definitely NOT recommended. doable but will require some extra hard work. However data management and MHF4U would be reasonable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
if you end up getting them together, then your school must have put the curriculum so that the vectors portion of MCV comes first. or else you would be screwed. yes they can complement each other, if you dont mind having double the math hmk everyday. the units arent necessarily similar, MHF is the prereq so if you have bad memory then you might be better off since youre taking them together.

depending on other courses youre taking, i would recommend not taking them at the same time if you want a high mark in both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@Keiser561993 wrote
MHF4U AND MCV4U IN 1 SEMESTER ??? GOOD? Can they complement to each other? how about their work... are UNITS similar? Are you getting behind from the MCV4U if you are taking it with MHF4U AT THE SAME TIME than taking MHF4U first before it?

Please Reply!
Thanks ^_^

Definitely NOT recommended. You need to know the Advanced Functions material prior to taking Calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
Well, advanced functions basically prepares you for calc.
They compliment eachother in that regard but taking them in the same semester would not be a good idea. Calc requres that you know a lot of the material taught in advanced functions so unless the teaching schedual matches up, you will be completely lost during some parts of calc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
It's definitely a bad idea to take them at the same time because AF really should be a pre-req for calc, but the ministry isn't allowed to make an "in-grade pre-req", i.e. a grade 12 course can't be a pre-requisite for another grade 12 course and that's the only reason why AF is a co-requisite. Even at non-semestered schools, they semester functions and calculus because they don't want the students to be at a disadvantage by having to take them at the same time. Avoid it at ALL costs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Bad idea to do both concurrently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ILovePeach ILovePeach
It depends.. I did borh of them last semester and it went pretty well.
Advanced Function is more about thinking because different functions and their application, properties etc.etc...
Calculus is more like a tool as it concerns more about how to solve a pure math problem. Like limits and INTEGRAL--- It definitely gives your teacher the license to kill.
My physics teacher loves integral and uses it almost everywhere...

Anyway, both of them are math.. so if you can, then go for both of them at the same time, it won't do any harm..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kchung kchung
I took them concurrently last semester and it was fine (not to say they're really easy courses).

Personally, I didn't think they were that related. The vectors portion of the course came first, but even still I don't remember using anything from adv. functions...

Maybe that's just me. If you're good with math and you think you can manage then you probably can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cpeister cpeister
At my school, the way scheduling worked, anyone who took Advanced Functions, Calculus, and Physics this year got AF and Calc in the same semester. It was a major scheduling fail, but at least 90% of the people in my Calc class are also in my AF class.

First semester had a different Calculus teacher that realized all his students didn't have AF so they did Vectors first. We had to argue with our teacher until he was convinced that we didnt know ANY of the prerequisite AF material, because he decided to start with the Calculus instead of the Vectors. 20 minutes later we knew how to do long division. I have really noticed that its not the calculus that is hard, it's the algebra that we do not know.

Anyways, we just had tests in both classes and I got 98% on each. I hope the trend continues, but I expect not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0