yconic - MATH/FARM vs AFM-PA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MATH/FARM vs AFM-PA

A photo of jefferyupaul jefferyupaul
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I've just been accepted to Math/FARM (Honours, Co-op), after being rejected from Math/CA. I have no idea what this program is really about, other than the fact it gives you a BMath and sets you up for the CFA qualification exams. I'm still waiting to hear from AFM (my first choice), but if I were to get into it, I would not know which program to accept. I had my initial sights set on a CA, but a CFA is becoming more and more interesting.

So, CFA vs CA, which is better? Not only in terms of pay, but also working hours and etc. Are international opportunities equally as demanding?

Thanks a bunch.

PS. University-level math sounds really scary :( Anyone taking either please feel free to comment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@jefferyupaul wrote
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I've just been accepted to Math/FARM (Honours, Co-op), after being rejected from Math/CA. I have no idea what this program is really about, other than the fact it gives you a BMath and sets you up for the CFA qualification exams. I'm still waiting to hear from AFM (my first choice), but if I were to get into it, I would not know which program to accept. I had my initial sights set on a CA, but a CFA is becoming more and more interesting.

So, CFA vs CA, which is better? Not only in terms of pay, but also working hours and etc. Are international opportunities equally as demanding?

Thanks a bunch.

PS. University-level math sounds really scary :( Anyone taking either please feel free to comment.

..I got into Math only while applying to CA..lol.I was hoping to get FARM... ALl I would say is that if you are good at math and confident that you are capable of doing math contests questions, i'll go for FARM. If not, i'll go for PA since PA does not have as much math. Overall, if you're going to actural science and get you CFA, i believe that you earn a lot then CA's in the long run. NOt sure about the opportunities or hours though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jefferyupaul wrote

Thanks a bunch.

If you want CFA vs CA, the answer is it depends.

You can become a CA or CFA (well work towards CFA, and somewhat CA) in AFM-PA. You can only work towards CFA in FARM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction
I can say from a perspective of the attainability of the respective designations.

CA requires 51 credit hours, 30-36 months (depends) of specific job experience, and 3 exams.
CFA requires 3 exams, a university degree and job experience (3 years?).

So the 51 credit hours really limit a lot of business grads from obtaining their CA, which makes it in a sense more "valuable. However with that being said, I am in no way saying that CA > CFA, cause they're two totally different designations.

If you're not sure what you want to go for yet, I recommend AFM because you can still get your CFA via AFM. In fact, I know many students in AFM/Math-CA that are pursuing both CA & CFA. And as the previous posters commented on, you really need to be confident that you can basically kick-ass in math before doing a MATH degree. It is very different from high school math. A good benchmark is...how well did you do in those Waterloo math contests? (If you scored consistently 130+ out of 150 etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@jefferyupaul wrote

Thanks a bunch.

I would suggest going for AFM-PA and pursuing your CFA on the side if you get in, but that's just me. Frankly speaking, the pay is ok for both (not fabulous by any stretch when you consider the hours you work). The hours are horrible (there's a reason these places can be accurately depicted as white-collar sweatshops). The opportunities are tremendous for both (a combo would be pretty damn amazing).
Was this helpful? Yes 0