yconic - Mature students returning to College.......... Can anyone share their experience?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mature students returning to College.......... Can anyone share their experience?

A photo of GOLIVEFULL GOLIVEFULL
I am a 48 year with over 20 years of management experience, and a university degree from the 80's, but who, however,need to return to College. Due to the present economy I have not been able to find a job in my field so I am returning to school to improve my qualifications. I would love to know if there are any other MATURE students out there who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences of returning to a post high school atmosphere. I never thought I would have attempted this, but should have done it 20 years ago. Now I just want to know how best to fit in. Any advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of sampowell sampowell
my advice.. don't worry about it, just focus on the work! that's what you're there for anyways
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ang007 ang007
I have also returned to college as a mature student, I am in my second year. My advice is most importantly to be yourself. It is also important to recognize that you have a unique perspective to share with the students, but you can also learn alot from them too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smd smd
I have returned to university after many years in the work force, and now at 40 am working towards a degree on a full time basis, and balancing family. While there are other mature students in my program, and a few even older than me, it personally took me a little while to fit in. That is probably because I am more shy and quiet. This was not a big deal because there are so many people returning to university and college now, its becoming the norm. I am so pleased I m doing this. Go for it and don't worry about anything, it will all come together for you- just perservere! Education is something you can never go wrong with!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jonnykay jonnykay
post scondar institutions are usally filled with poeple of all ages so it's not that big of a deal, honestly. my siblings have people onear their 60's in their classes and no one even looks twice, cause it normal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeytyradog hockeytyradog
I am going back to school, because I am ready for a change. I don't believe that a person is ever too "old" to learn something new.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I did it at 26. Now I'm 30 in my last year and it feels weird, but I'm more wise. I see people in their early 20's who freak when they don't get that "A". Having worked before, I can tell you that once you get out in your career, all your "A" and "honors" mean nothing if you can't do your job properly and produce results.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of magpie magpie
I'm going to 2nd a few of the previous responses to just be yourself and go for it! It's so common now and it's commendable to take whatever risks are necessary (and within reason :P) to get yourself to where you really want to be in life.
I'm 27 and going to university full-time in Sept for a BA, and I'm hoping to continue to a masters degree so I'll be at least 31-32 when I finish. I did a diploma at Sheridan a few years ago and there were quite a few mature students in my program, they provided a fresh take on case studies and group projects because someone with real-life work experience has perspectives and opinions to offer that younger students may not think of (and sometimes vice versa!)
You have a lot to offer your fellow classmates, and they have a lot to offer you as well, it'll be a great life experience and you'll come out of it with a great education :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of katiebaltzer katiebaltzer
If you are going to school to upgrade your qualifications then that means you are ahead of the game in the program you are taking.
Already having a background in it will surely help, don't worry so much about it
Was this helpful? Yes 0