yconic - Maybe someone can help me? (Special Case)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Maybe someone can help me? (Special Case)

A photo of jadey jadey
Where do I begin?...

My dad traveled a lot for my last year of HS, so I ended up doing Gr. 12 with the ILC (ilc.org)it took me pretty long to do it (I am recently graduating at 19 years old) because I tend to procrastinate, but my marks are:

English:88%
Calculus:77%
Adv. Functions:85%
Chemistry:87%
Studies in Literature:87%
Writer's Craft:96%

For an average of: 86.7%

My final destination is to become a CA

I was considering Schulich but that is out of the question because of my average, but maybe I can get in for delayed entry if I really step up my game.

Another possibility is York BAS.

Or, Rotman Commerce.

What I like about the first two is the tuition, I will be able to work until next year to save up for full tuition which would be great. But Rotman is just too expensive and I would need to take out a loan.

Any advice for an aspiring accountant?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of jadey jadey
^^anybody??:albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jaycity23 Jaycity23
I would say with delayed entry you are kind of taking a risk because you don't really know if it would work out. However, there is always the possibility considering you really work hard. As for Rotman it is also a great program but it is really hard and I understand what you are taking about with the tuition. A good idea could be for you to go to York BAS first year work really hard and then try to switch into Schulich if this is possible.

and by the way I also did my grade 12 year through the ILC and am graduating this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jadey jadey
Yeah that would seem like a better idea considering I want to be an accountant. The only thing is that I was reading on the Schulich website that the BAS program credits are not transferable for the delayed entry program. I can't figure out what to apply for!!! UGH!

I'm glad to hear from another ILC student, btw, what uni are you applying to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jaycity23 Jaycity23

@jadey wrote
Yeah that would seem like a better idea considering I want to be an accountant. The only thing is that I was reading on the Schulich website that the BAS program credits are not transferable for the delayed entry program. I can't figure out what to apply for!!! UGH!

I'm glad to hear from another ILC student, btw, what uni are you applying to?

I applied to ryerson for business management, Rotman, and Schulich.
Ironically I also aspire to get my CA designation some day. Ive been waiting forever to see another ILC student on this website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jadey jadey
Wow thats great! I hope you get in. I won't be applying until next year. I wanna save up those $. Lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
It sounds like you want to stay in Toronto to keep costs down. In this case I would recommend Ryerson if you cannot get into Schulich or Rotman. You may also want to consider Ryerson vs Rotman because of costs. There's also UTM and UTSC, but they are similar in costs to Rotman I believe and require fairly high averages too (although you should be fine). Your calculus mark might be a bit too low for UofT though, as I think they usually require 80%.

As long as the school has the 51 credit hours required by the ICAO (can be found on their website) you are fine. Preferably you want to be in one of the fully-accredited programs, but if you're not that's alright.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jadey jadey

It sounds like you want to stay in Toronto to keep costs down. In this case I would recommend Ryerson if you cannot get into Schulich or Rotman. You may also want to consider Ryerson vs Rotman because of costs. There's also UTM and UTSC, but they are similar in costs to Rotman I believe and require fairly high averages too (although you should be fine). Your calculus mark might be a bit too low for UofT though, as I think they usually require 80%.

As long as the school has the 51 credit hours required by the ICAO (can be found on their website) you are fine. Preferably you want to be in one of the fully-accredited programs, but if you're not that's alright

Thanks for the great information, I hadn't considered UTM and its very close to where I live but I would have to take out a loan for part of my tuition as Commerce programs are more expensive ! ERRRR! And I heard Ryerson was cheaper the first year and then shoots up in price for the next 3 years, but I'm sure it's more affordable than Rotman, so that's definitely an option. I'm really liking the Atkinson BAS though, even though its not as prestigious, I heard it has the same subject matter as the Schulich BBA, and it enables you to study and complete the qualification requirements for the accounting program.

I guess it won't hurt to apply to most of these Universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of michellec16 michellec16

@jadey wrote

As long as the school has the 51 credit hours required by the ICAO (can be found on their website) you are fine. Preferably you want to be in one of the fully-accredited programs, but if you're not that's alright

Thanks for the great information, I hadn't considered UTM and its very close to where I live but I would have to take out a loan for part of my tuition as Commerce programs are more expensive ! ERRRR! And I heard Ryerson was cheaper the first year and then shoots up in price for the next 3 years, but I'm sure it's more affordable than Rotman, so that's definitely an option. I'm really liking the Atkinson BAS though, even though its not as prestigious, I heard it has the same subject matter as the Schulich BBA, and it enables you to study and complete the qualification requirements for the accounting program.

I guess it won't hurt to apply to most of these Universities.

UTM and UTSC require a higher calculus mark(above 80%) so you likely won't be able to get into those. Ryerson is definitely cheaper, the tuition is 6000-7000 for all the years. You can also get into Atkinson BAS whose tuition is probably like that of ryerson's. So I would go with York BAS and Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jadey jadey

UTM and UTSC require a higher calculus mark(above 80%) so you likely won't be able to get into those. Ryerson is definitely cheaper, the tuition is 6000-7000 for all the years. You can also get into Atkinson BAS whose tuition is probably like that of ryerson's. So I would go with York BAS and Ryerson.

Which do you think nis a better university for accounting, Ryerson or York. Personally, I like Ryerson's area better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@jadey wrote

Which do you think nis a better university for accounting, Ryerson or York. Personally, I like Ryerson's area better.

Ryerson > York (not including Schulich)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jadey jadey

@caveman wrote

@jadey wrote

Ryerson > York (not including Schulich)

You're right, and I think there is areally good chance of me getting accepted into Ryerson, and I am loving the downtown area, and business-wise it's a better environment (close to the financial district). I think my head is much clearer now thanks for the advice.

One thing that I'm not sure about is how should I apply. I just graduated from high school, and I am planning to work this year and apply for the 2013/14 school year, which is great for the new accounting and finance major they are launching. Is that still direct-entry???I'm a bit confused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0