yconic - McGill - Arts Program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill - Arts Program

A photo of Jane239 Jane239
Hey guys! I was just wondering who got into the Arts program at McGill and what average they had.

This might be a very obvious question, but I applied to the General Arts "Freshman Program" and it is not the specific program ie. Economics, History, etc., when is it that you declare the program that you are to take? I assume that you would have to take prerequisites during your first year so how would you know which ones to take?

Also, I was looking at the programs in Arts and next to some of the programs like Economics & Finance it said (also see Faculty of Management). Does this mean that the program is offered in both faculties?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of halestorm29 halestorm29
+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was accepted early for the program with an 87.5% average(only 4 12U courses).
Others have told me they factor in grade 11 marks but they were far from stellar - probably around an 86 or 87%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote
I was accepted early for the program with an 87.5% average(only 4 12U courses).
Others have told me they factor in grade 11 marks but they were far from stellar - probably around an 86 or 87%.

Oh, really? My grade 11 marks must be keeping me from being accepted because my 6 4U courses make up an 89. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
I was accepted with a 93 average (four 12U courses).

Everyone who applies to the Arts Faculty must complete the BA Freshman Program, and you don't declare your major until the end of your first year. And in general, the courses you take in second year don't have prequisites, so if you really wanted to, you could take a bunch of courses in first year that have no connection to your intended major.

For Econ & Finance, it's only offered at the Faculty of Mangement. I think that the only reason why it's on the Arts website is because you'll graduate with a BA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@canta93loupe wrote

Everyone who applies to the Arts Faculty must complete the BA Freshman Program, and you don't declare your major until the end of your first year. And in general, the courses you take in second year don't have prequisites, so if you really wanted to, you could take a bunch of courses in first year that have no connection to your intended major.

For Econ & Finance, it's only offered at the Faculty of Mangement. I think that the only reason why it's on the Arts website is because you'll graduate with a BA.

Congrats! Did you apply to the Faculty of Management? I was thinking that if I were to go to McGill for Arts I would take Economics & Finance I guess that's not longer an option haha, thanks for your reply!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@canta93loupe wrote

Congrats! Did you apply to the Faculty of Management? I was thinking that if I were to go to McGill for Arts I would take Economics & Finance I guess that's not longer an option haha, thanks for your reply!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline
I got in awhile ago... I have a 88-90 (depending on how you calculate it) average, but I'm in IB, with a predicted of 38 (which by UBC's scale is equivalent to a 95ish)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Auxerre Auxerre
97.3% overall and I just got in today, haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
^ Woah, that's really bizarre that you were accepted so late...

@Jane239: Nahhhh. Business isn't really my thing. And you're welcome. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of helenbaker1993 helenbaker1993
I have a 93 average and still no acceptance to General Arts :( Application still says "ready for review"...

My grade 11 marks sucked, but I was told by a woman who works at McGill admissions that they really don't matter unless you want early admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@helenbaker1993 wrote
I have a 93 average and still no acceptance to General Arts :( Application still says "ready for review"...

My grade 11 marks sucked, but I was told by a woman who works at McGill admissions that they really don't matter unless you want early admission.

I actually found out last night that I've been accepted, I'm sure you'll hear soon! My gr. 11 marks weren't great either haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Jane239 wrote

@helenbaker1993 wrote

I actually found out last night that I've been accepted, I'm sure you'll hear soon! My gr. 11 marks weren't great either haha.

Congratz! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
My girlfriend got accepted last night with an average of 90%, or around 88-90%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Accepted this morning! See you fellow Arts students at McGill :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@helenbaker1993 wrote

Congratulations!! What are you specifically interested in taking in the faculty?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23
Are any of you guys from Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@slader23 wrote

I am :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23

@halestorm29 wrote

@slader23 wrote

I am :)

Then I guess that them saying admissions for Ontario high school students is from May 13th- May 20th isn't really in effect this year..I'm just waiting for desautels..Im sitting at 91.3333 and the cutoff is 91%...crossing my fingers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@halestorm29 wrote

@helenbaker1993 wrote

Congratulations!! What are you specifically interested in taking in the faculty?

Political Science, how about you?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@helenbaker1993 wrote

@halestorm29 wrote

@helenbaker1993 wrote

Political Science, how about you?

I'm thinking Cultural Studies. I might try to transfer to Desautels second year if I don't get in this year :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
86% average on the dot.
Self-reported on April 13th, got in April 19th.
From BC if that makes any difference haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin

@prmly wrote
86% average on the dot.

seriously! ugh, i've got an 86.7, and nothing! :scratch:
i have a question for all of you: They messed up my application and didn't take some of my classes as valid ( no idea why) but i digress, i got declined, but after some communication they took my classes, but my application still says declined... i got into education, but i WANT ARTS! what is going on! AH! will they re-evaluate me? or am i pretty much screwed :( the only school i want is McGill....ugh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Brianrankin wrote

@prmly wrote
86% average on the dot.

i have a question for all of you: They messed up my application and didn't take some of my classes as valid ( no idea why) but i digress, i got declined, but after some communication they took my classes, but my application still says declined... i got into education, but i WANT ARTS! what is going on! AH! will they re-evaluate me? or am i pretty much screwed :( the only school i want is McGill....ugh.

You should call and ask! If you're officially denied, which seems rough, you could always try to transfer out of Ed after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin

@helenbaker1993 wrote

@Brianrankin wrote

@prmly wrote
86% average on the dot.

You should call and ask! If you're officially denied, which seems rough, you could always try to transfer out of Ed after first year.

My guidance councilor & I looked into it, and i have to keep a B+ average. I'm not sure if thats do-able, and the money issue. But i emailed the admissions officer and im looking into it. Hopefully i get ! I really hope they don't weight schools because theres only been one other person even applied there in the last 6-7 years from my high school, so they really don't have much info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0