yconic - McGill , UBC, SFU
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill , UBC, SFU

A photo of drkim drkim
I've applied to McGill, UBC, SFU and is really hoping to get accepted!!!
WEll...I've only finished English 12 (with 90%) and will have to work hard next
semester...
I heard that UBC won't even look at your 2nd choice if you aren't eligible for the first choice you've applied for...
is this true? then whats the point of allowing you to choose a 2nd choice?

by the way,
I'm still wondering if I should take my English 12 provincial exam.
I've recieved my final grade and need to take my provincial next tues.
But if I take the exam, I'm very sure that it'll drop my 90% to a lower grade.
When I self-report my grades, my average maybe decreased by this !!!

I'm still in a dilemma whether I should take it in June (after self-reporting) or jeapordize and take it Tuesday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
When you self-report your grades you report your report card mark- coursemark, not your provincial mark. If you are concerned, don't take it until June.

And of course UBC and other universities look at your second choice if not admitted to your first. That other person you heard from was an idiot. Or maybe you misheard it. UBC will not consider your second choice if you are admitted to your first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@forthewinwin wrote
And of course UBC and other universities look at your second choice if not admitted to your first. That other person you heard from was an idiot. Or maybe you misheard it. UBC will not consider your second choice if you are admitted to your first.

This.

And I'd take the English provincial in June if you think it will drop your mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Honestly, I don't think it really makes a difference when you take the exam.
I did the whole course in a month over the summer and wrote the provincial in the same month.
The provincial isn't really something you can study for.. half of it is writing essays anyways..
The other half is reading and responding, it's not like you know what stories and articles you're going to get.
If I were you, I'd rather take the exam on Tuesday. That way, at least you'll still have some writing tips fresh in your memory. By the time June comes, those tips are going to be gone out of the window.
I haven't taken English for half a year now and I feel like I forgot everything, haha.
But I mean.. I didn't prep ANYTHING for it and still ended up with a 95 in the course..
Was this helpful? Yes 0