yconic - McGill - Which Rez would u choose?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill - Which Rez would u choose?

A photo of asian123 asian123
For anyone that plans to go to mcgill, what is ur first choice of rez and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
Carrefour Single (Not sure how many of these actually exist)
New Rez Single (below Carrefour b/c of the crazy security)
Greenbriar Studo-single (don't really need an 11 month lease though...)

Why these? PRIVATE BATHROOMS, I can't stand the thought of having to ALWAYS use a public bathroom for 8 months.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

exactly same choices as mine, id prefer having a suite as well. PLus i like the idea of hotel rooms with carrefour
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know New Rez is meant to be a popular choice, although I'm sure A LOT of people would like a single with a private bathroom in either New or Carrefour. I'm willing to settle on a more "anti-social" rez with Greenbriar if it means I have a private bathroom. I don't know how I'm going to handle having to use a communal bathroom if I don't get one of those three...I just hope the cost is enough to deter most people from picking them. Either that or I'll just have to cover and hover. :puker:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
If I go there I will be staying with a friend who at present is a first year student..

there might be more friends too.. i think it will be an awesome exeprience.
The Uni rez is really expensive you could get good stuff really good stuff outside in the same cash bracket.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

GAHH! I just found an old rez choice ranking sheet, and unless you're a major renewable entrance scholarship winner, you can't even rank a New Rez or Carrefour single, you're only given the option for doubles. NOO! Looks like I have to pray for Greenbriar (after I'm done praying for my acceptance).

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/residences/hallranksheet.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Internationals get to choose as they like xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You have no idea how sad I am, I was really hoping for a single with a private bathroom! I wanted the dorm experience, but without the communal bathrooms. But, I don't want it THAT badly, so hopefully I end up with a Greenbriar studio! And I suppose I'll be close enough to the other rez buildings for parties and stuff.

All this assuming I get in, which brings me to my next point:
MCGILL EARLY ACCEPTANCES START TOMORROW FOR ONTARIO STUDENTS!!! I don't think I'll get in right away, but maybe in late March/early April. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

MCGILL EARLY ACCEPTANCES START TOMORROW FOR ONTARIO STUDENTS!!!

:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
Hey guys, I am a regular BC applicant and got my admission already. Didn't get any scholarship tho. do we get to rank the residences after we pay the residence deposit, or is it completely random? I accepted my admission just so I would reserve a good rez. and i'll be disappointed if I dont get to rank my rez :'(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Leesh1993 wrote
Hey guys, I am a regular BC applicant and got my admission already. Didn't get any scholarship tho. do we get to rank the residences after we pay the residence deposit, or is it completely random? I accepted my admission just so I would reserve a good rez. and i'll be disappointed if I dont get to rank my rez :'(

Everybody ranks their residence on a rez ranking form on Minerva, it looks like this:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/residences/Hall_Ranking_Worksheet_2011.pdf

For everyone who doesn't get a scholarship, the residence assignment is a lottery:
As part of the room reservation process, you will be asked to rank your preferences from amongst the wide variety of accommodations offered within McGill's residence system. If you are the winner of a major renewable entrance scholarship, you are guaranteed to be assigned to the hall of your choice.

Hall assignments for all other first year students are determined by lottery number. After the June 15 reply-by deadline, each student who paid their residence deposit will be given a randomly generated lottery number. Whether you are assigned to the hall of your choice, your 5th choice or your 13th choice of accommodation is subject to your lottery number. The lower your number, the greater chance you will be placed in one of your first choices of accommodation.

So it doesn't matter when you accept your offer or submit your rez worksheet, as long as you do it before June 15.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@imsyed wrote
Internationals get to choose as they like xD

where did u hear that from? im 95% sure that this isnt true, only scholarship winners get to choose as they like.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@Leesh1993 wrote

Everybody ranks their residence on a rez ranking form on Minerva, it looks like this:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/residences/Hall_Ranking_Worksheet_2011.pdf

For everyone who doesn't get a scholarship, the residence assignment is a lottery:
As part of the room reservation process, you will be asked to rank your preferences from amongst the wide variety of accommodations offered within McGill's residence system. If you are the winner of a major renewable entrance scholarship, you are guaranteed to be assigned to the hall of your choice.

Hall assignments for all other first year students are determined by lottery number. After the June 15 reply-by deadline, each student who paid their residence deposit will be given a randomly generated lottery number. Whether you are assigned to the hall of your choice, your 5th choice or your 13th choice of accommodation is subject to your lottery number. The lower your number, the greater chance you will be placed in one of your first choices of accommodation.

So it doesn't matter when you accept your offer or submit your rez worksheet, as long as you do it before June 15.

thank u very much for posting this.
Damn though. i was really hoping that i would have a chance at single rooms with single or shared (with only one other person) bathrooms.

i guess ill have to settle for C4 double and New Rez double.
Was this helpful? Yes 0