yconic - McGill and IB
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill and IB

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
As you may know McGill offers "advanced standing" for IB diploma graduates allowing them to effectively 'skip' first year (or whatever they call it) and go directly into your second year. Does anyone know how this works exactly? Do I have to apply for this, they already have my grades of course, but I'm guessing I don't just turn up walk straight into a second year class?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I believe McGill automatically gives you the credit, and you have to take it. Some schools let you choose whether to take the credit or not, McGill doesn't do this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I believe McGill automatically gives you the credit, and you have to take it. Some schools let you choose whether to take the credit or not, McGill doesn't do this.

Yeah that's what I want, so in terms of practical stuff there is nothing I need to do before I go in terms of credits? Just rock up to frosh week and act like a fresher :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
I'm in U0 (first year) so I'm not completely sure how it works, but yes, you will automatically be put in U1 (second year) based on your credits. However, you're still a freshman, it's just some freshmen are U0 and some are U1, haha. There are tons of other U1 freshmen too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm sure they will send you information about it when they get your IB marks and stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I'm sure they will send you information about it when they get your IB marks and stuff

Well that's what I thought, but they've had my results for a few months now (I have a deferred offer), UofT sent me tons of information about which credits counted for which courses etc... Ah well, guess I'll find out nearer the time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0