yconic - Mcgill and UOT Life Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mcgill and UOT Life Science

A photo of RyanScane RyanScane
Has anyone received the admission offer from Mcgill(Life Science) and U of Toronto ?
I have an average of 93 but my application status is always "Ready for Review".
I am getting tired of waiting.

Anyway, I am going back to my own country this sunday.
Really hope to receive their response soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of littleroom littleroom
UofT takes a long time. That average is more than enough to get you in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeynut91 hockeynut91
UofT has a huge class and the average entrance average is lower then McGill but it also depends what college you applied to. McGill keeps their minimum averages very high to help combat grade inflation from other provinces in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The requirement of Mcgill life science is 91.5 but my sister's classmate didn't manage to get in with an average of 96 last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marky marky
My average is 93 too and I've been checking every single day but it's STILL ready for review!!
My friend with a 95 average got in 2 weeks ago and this other guy also got in last week with an average of approx. 93/94

I called McGill yesterday and the lady said if you don't get an offer by the end of this week then you're basically rejected, but today I checked their website and it said they accept until the 20th. So which is right?? ugh this is so frustrating
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am vexed too.
I can understand your feeling.
Anyway, has anyone received offers from UBC and UOT (life science)?
I would like to seek comments for the comparison between UBC and UOT:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiwifruit11 kiwifruit11
You'll get in, don't worry.
I got into McGill for Life Sciences on May 3rd with an average of 93.8ish (yeah, the dates listed on their site are total lies).
They're probably going down a percent a week or something (so this next week should be the week for you :D) I really can't see the admission minimum going up more than 1.5% in one year.

As for U of T, I got in in March. If you don't get accepted I'll lose all respect for them.

Don't worry. GOOD LUCK! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paddy2U Paddy2U
I can only speak about Mcgill but I know that having a mark above the cutoff does not ensure acceptance. Guidance at my school and also confirmed by another school stated that McGill does look at the high school if you come from a province that does not have standardized tests. Of course there is no way they know all the schools out there but if they have a history with certain schools producing high calibre students with marks around the cutoff, those kids often get in ahead of kids with even higher marks from schools known to be very easy markers and whose alumni have not met with as much success in Uni as they did in high school. You have to then figure that use this to decide who gets an early offer of admission ( began March 1 this year for Ontario). IB and AP matter less than the perceived calibre of the high school. They also look for consistency from year to year, noting whether or not Grade 11 marks were really low and then in Grade 12 they skyrocketed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23

@Paddy2U wrote
I can only speak about Mcgill but I know that having a mark above the cutoff does not ensure acceptance. Guidance at my school and also confirmed by another school stated that McGill does look at the high school if you come from a province that does not have standardized tests. Of course there is no way they know all the schools out there but if they have a history with certain schools producing high calibre students with marks around the cutoff, those kids often get in ahead of kids with even higher marks from schools known to be very easy markers and whose alumni have not met with as much success in Uni as they did in high school. You have to then figure that use this to decide who gets an early offer of admission ( began March 1 this year for Ontario). IB and AP matter less than the perceived calibre of the high school. They also look for consistency from year to year, noting whether or not Grade 11 marks were really low and then in Grade 12 they skyrocketed.

I agree with most of this and yea they look for consistency but mainly in terms of scholarships...as they come at a high price of 93% minimum average in gr.11 and 12...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paddy2U Paddy2U
The consistency is for sure a factor for scholarship but when assessing two students with the same Grade 12 average, the one who had a high Grade 11 will have an easier time getting in(at least in early acceptance) than the one who did not. The Grade 11 average need not be scholarship-worthy but if you can show consistency, it only helps.
I believe this is especially important if your Grade 12 marks are sitting at/just above the cutoff. If they are very, very high and you bombed Grade 11 chances are still in your favour.So there are many factors but reality is that they have a quota for Ontario studens who are also the ones to get their acceptances later than other applicants.

Also, my friend with an average of 91.5 just got a rejection letter so they really are just a guide as to last year's cutoff and don't give an assurance that having that mark the next year will mean an acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
UofT sent out acceptances for life science today.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
UofT sent out acceptances for life science today.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of giela25 giela25
Hello everyone,

I'm French and I live in the Dominican Republic, I also go to an international American school. I've posted my application for McGill in November, and have updated my transcript a month ago. My average this year is 92, on the other hand, last year's was really bad (82.5, and 86.9 in 10th grade). On the other hand, my SAT and TOEFL scores are fine and above minimum requirement. Is there any chance I might get in?

Also, are there any international students here who applied to McGill? If so, do you know at around what date they should give an answer?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted