yconic - McGill Arts Course Selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Arts Course Selection

A photo of Spoony Spoony
So, I got accepted to McGill Arts a while back and I can't wait to get started but I am slightly nervous about the Course Selection.

Option 1
"General Option"

This option includes a core requirement of 6 credits in each of 3 of the 4 categories: Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, and Mathematics & Science. A maximum of 18 credits may be chosen from any one category but no more than 12 credits may be taken in one department.

So from what I gather, this means that a freshman arts student is required to take a minimum of 2 courses (6 credits) in each of 3/4 categories. First of all, I am interested in majoring in Political Science come second year so it is obvious I am more social science oriented than anything. I also have a strong interest towards English literature so fulfilling 2/4 of the categories should not be too much of an issue. However, I am not too keen on studying the courses in the Languages category and mathematics is not exactly my forte.

I know it is not time for course selection yet but I am slightly worried. Can anybody help?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@Spoony wrote
So, I got accepted to McGill Arts a while back and I can't wait to get started but I am slightly nervous about the Course Selection.

Option 1
"General Option"

This option includes a core requirement of 6 credits in each of 3 of the 4 categories: Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, and Mathematics & Science. A maximum of 18 credits may be chosen from any one category but no more than 12 credits may be taken in one department.

So from what I gather, this means that a freshman arts student is required to take a minimum of 2 courses (6 credits) in each of 3/4 categories. First of all, I am interested in majoring in Political Science come second year so it is obvious I am more social science oriented than anything. I also have a strong interest towards English literature so fulfilling 2/4 of the categories should not be too much of an issue. However, I am not too keen on studying the courses in the Languages category and mathematics is not exactly my forte.

I know it is not time for course selection yet but I am slightly worried. Can anybody help?

Hey, I haven't really looked at course selections yet..but I have skimmmed through it.

https://home.mcgill.ca/oasis/ba/freshman/approved/ is a list of all the approved courses. Not all the "mathematics" courses really seem that mathy in nature. You could take ATOC 183 (Intro to Climate and Climate Change) and GEOG 221 (Global Change) for example, and I bet there is very little math involved in that.

For the languages on the other hand, I don't think there is much of a way to get out of that. I'm not sure if you're Canadian, but I'm from Ontario and I'm just going to take two French courses since I do have some previous (yet rather limimted) knowledge of it from elementary and highschool and I'd like to brush up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
you dont have to take courses in all 4 categories. so if you arent math person, just ignore that category. however, you do have to take either a math course or a language course, so decide which one you hate less? (also i've heard you can do beginner language courses that are fairly easy marks if that's helpful)
Was this helpful? Yes 0