yconic - McGill BA vs uOttawa BCom?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill BA vs uOttawa BCom?

A photo of esdhk esdhk
Which is more valuable? We all know McGill's prestige but I think a Bachelor of Commerce is a much more valuable degree than a BA. I have the prerequisites to study Commerce at University of Ottawa but not at McGill.

I think doing Commerce is the best choice because if for some reason I don't want to do law in the end, I will have something to fall back on. I also really enjoy business and uOttawa offers paid co-op jobs that pay up to $600-700 a week! Which would be good for financing my living expenses.

I'm wanting to go to Law school after Undergrad, hopefully in the US at an Ivy League school such as Columbia. Would they accept me if I'm from uOttawa but have good marks?

Any advice? Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Do the Bcomm at UOttawa. It's a pretty decent program and as long as you keep your CGPA there fairly high, you will be in a competitive position to get coop which is really valuable!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of allentsai allentsai

@esdhk wrote
Which is more valuable? We all know McGill's prestige but I think a Bachelor of Commerce is a much more valuable degree than a BA. I have the prerequisites to study Commerce at University of Ottawa but not at McGill.

I think doing Commerce is the best choice because if for some reason I don't want to do law in the end, I will have something to fall back on. I also really enjoy business and uOttawa offers paid co-op jobs that pay up to $600-700 a week! Which would be good for financing my living expenses.

I'm wanting to go to Law school after Undergrad, hopefully in the US at an Ivy League school such as Columbia. Would they accept me if I'm from uOttawa but have good marks?

Just out of curiosity, how did you get accepted into UBC B.A. already if acceptances dont come out until April?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esdhk esdhk

@allentsai wrote

@esdhk wrote

Just out of curiosity, how did you get accepted into UBC B.A. already if acceptances dont come out until April?

Nope, they're rolling admissions. I applied in October-November and got an offer on December 1st.
Was this helpful? Yes 0