yconic - McGill: Commerce - Major/Concentrations & Other questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill: Commerce - Major/Concentrations & Other questions

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Hello :)

I'm applying to McGill's Commerce program.

First of all, I'd love to have some input on my chances of getting early admission.

My current top 6 (Biology, Chemistry, Adv. Functions, Calc. & Vectors, Data, English) is 94.5%. I know it's not extremely high or significantly above the cutoff (91.5% I believe), but does the fact that all those courses (except Data) are IB courses give me any advantage over another student who has the same courses/marks in academic? (HL: Biology, Chemistry, SL: Adv. Functions, Calc. & Vectors, English)

If I DO get admitted, I have a few questions. I've done some research but I am still confused about the differences between a Major, a Major Concentration, and a Concentration.

I'm not as strong an English student as I am a math/sciences student so I'd like to know how much essay-writing/analysis is involved with Commerce?

I'd like to do a Major Concentration in Mathematics:

http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2010-2011/faculties/desautels/undergraduate/programs/bachelor-commerce-bcom-major-concentration-mathematics-m-0

But I don't fully understand what this means. Would this get me out of some of the mass amounts of essay writing required for majors such as Econ. ?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of illuminati illuminati
If you want to specialize in one area, you choose a Major, which has at least twice the number of credits required than a concentration. If you want to stretch yourself, you can take on an Honours program, which is slightly more demanding.

If you want to be more flexible and choose two areas, you choose the General Management stream, and you can pursue 1) two concentrations (e.g.: finance and international business) or 2) a concentration and a minor (e.g.: music) from a different faculty.

In order to graduate, commerce students will need to take at least 3 "complementary courses" from U0 (first yr). It depends what you take, but most of the courses offered will require you to write essays of some sort. Check: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/bcom/program_info/program_structure/120_credit_program/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
Can I still apply to McGill Commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mercenary wrote
Can I still apply to McGill Commerce?

What's up with you wanting to apply to everywhere now? Didn't you accept your Schulich offer already?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol I need something to look forward to in terms of getting accepted to a university... And I'm having some second thoughts on Schulich..
^so can I still apply to McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@mercenary wrote
Lol I need something to look forward to in terms of getting accepted to a university... And I'm having some second thoughts on Schulich..

Nope, why are you having second thoughts? Don't tell me you fell for SA's propaganda.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote

You do know it costs money to apply?

And beats me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know it costs money... Wait ^so I can't apply? For some reason their site confuses me..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver

@mercenary wrote
I know it costs money... Wait ^so I can't apply? For some reason their site confuses me..

The deadline for applications has passed, but a couple of my friends were interested in McGill after the deadline (I think it's because I couldn't stop talking about it :P) and one of them was told by admissions a couple of weeks ago that it was still possible to apply (they were interested in science). Just email admissions and ask them, it might still be possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@mercenary wrote

The deadline for applications has passed, but a couple of my friends were interested in McGill after the deadline (I think it's because I couldn't stop talking about it :P) and one of them was told by admissions a couple of weeks ago that it was still possible to apply (they were interested in science). Just email admissions and ask them, it might still be possible.

It's not I called them about a week ago...You're SOL just like me :/. I mean you can still call them if you want but they said business is too late. They said environmental science may still have room though if that interests you? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Really -_- wow fml
Yeah I emailed them and they haven't responded yet that's y I'm here
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote
Really -_- wow fml
Yeah I emailed them and they haven't responded yet that's y I'm here

If they say you can, please tell me haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0