yconic - McGill Desautels 1st Year AMA
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Desautels 1st Year AMA

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Around this time last year I was stressing out trying to pick a school and get the marks for the programs. Despite being only a few weeks into the program, I hope I can still help answer any questions or clarifications!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

Do you have to speak French to get the full experience of the university? Not just academically but also socially.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not at all! McGill's an english university, so usually the people around you don't really speak French, and even the ones that do usually speak english first. It's not hard either in the city, because most employers try their best to hire bilingual people, so you'll hardly find issues trying to communicate off campus (restaurants, clubs, bars, stores)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you think about the application process and how it is only based on academic grades? I feel a lot of the kids in the program just study and have no social skills to survive in the business world....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Usually, the kids who apply to Desautels, also apply to Ivey/QC/Rotman, therefore they have experience. Honestly, the Management faculty is the most fun, out-going faculty there is. With our 94.5 cut off, you'd think it's all geniuses that only study, but everyone is so social, and a lot more social that I am tbh (and im very social). For U0's we all have the same Math class and Intro to Management class so you get to know a lot of people in Management. I love it so far, it's great. 

Also people are from all over the world and learned through different curriculums, so a lot kids are below you in terms of academics and some above you. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How big are the classes?  One of the benefits of Queen's I've heard is much smaller classes (maybe due to the higher tuition they can afford this).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

During first year (called U0 at McGill): you take 4 cores and 6 electives. For 1/4 of the cores, the class size is 35 and the 3 others are 200, which is everyone in U0.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would it be more beneficial to go to a bigger known school like McGill if your goal is Graduate School in the United States?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm biased, but yes haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you find the program to be a competitive environment? Are your classmates all overachievers trying to position themselves for a job in investment banking when they graduate? Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not really competitive. We're all on the same boat. We're not really fighting for grades to achieve something higher like Ivey. So far a lot of people are willing to help you. Never feel bad to ask for help in class. Your friends will always be willing to help you (if they're good friends). Not a lot of people i know are interested in iBanking, and a lot of people aren't even sure yet. There are definitely overachievers and kids who are know-it-alls but that's basically everywhere. As for first years, the majority of us are just trying to make it through. One step at a time.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What average did you get accepted with? What do you think will be the cutoff for this year? I really want to apply to Desautels but right now my average is like 1% below cutoff as of right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got accepted with a 95.0 (exact), I think the cut-off is going to be the same this year tbh. It going any higher would just be insane. Still apply because when I applied in Dec my average was a 92/93 and I assumed I wouldn't get in but in second semester I was able to raise it and I did it. I'm sure you'll be able to as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0