yconic - McGill Desautels and Investment Management
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Desautels and Investment Management

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
What are people's on this program? It looks pretty sweet on their site. Any ideas regarding how hard it is to get in or how employers consider this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Paiero Paiero
So. I've always have wanted to apply to buisness, since I can remember. So when I hit grade 12 I began to do a large amount of research. So from what I've seen, the ranking for buisness schools in Canada are:

1) Richard Ivey
2) Schulich
3) Desautels
4) Sauders
5) Queens

But really, I'm sure if you apply anywhere in the top 5 and get in you'll be reasonably set. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@prefontaine wrote
What are people's on this program? It looks pretty sweet on their site. Any ideas regarding how hard it is to get in or how employers consider this program?

:scratch:

Go on wallstreetoasis.com and just search "mcgill investment management", that's where you'll get the real information from current students, employers and alumni. Also PM TheLampShade on this forum as he is a current first year student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Thanks for the suggestion Goldmansachs. From just scanning a few threads, WallStreetOasis seems to be a lot more indepth and unbiased then this forum (maybe less HS kids?).

As far as a ranking goes Paiero, this is my personal opinion (semi-biased of course):

1. Ivey: the name sets you apart. I've asked several international bankers, and Ivey was the first business school in Canada that they could name. While I personally dislike the 2+2 system, it's good if you want a diverse education.
2. Queens: very close to ivey but lacking a bit as far as "name recognition" is concerned (its too bad their b-school isn't named after someone).
3. Schulich: great program for accounting or finance. Also a good choice if you are intersted in an international education. I personally just wouldn't want to live in the that area.
4. McGill: the university itself has an amazing international reputation. I've heard good things from current students, and it seems to give you more options than some schools.
5. Rotman vs Sauder vs Laurier. all depends where you want to live/work. Rotman may have a slightly more reconizable name (though this comes at a price).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Haha yep, keep in mind though that a lot of the information on McGill Comm is from 2007, before the financial crisis.. so they might not have as many good recruiters anymore as those prestigious US firms have cut down on their recruiting in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
There's not a whole lot of information about how McGill's honors investment management program operates. I assume that since it's McGill the program does a successful job in placing their graduates into excellent firms, but at the same time I wonder why most if not all of the U3 students in the program have such pathetic internship placements listed in their profiles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamswharton dreamswharton
Don't make your choices based on rankings. Each program has it's strengths and weaknesses in different business streams, and so those rankings mean nothing. By the way, keep in mind the rankings of business schools are only for MBA.. not for their undergrad so don't be fooled. For example Rotman Commerce as an undergrad sucks.. but it's MBA program is one of the best in Canada.

It really depends on which stream you're looking into, for example if you would like to go into Accounting, Schulich and Waterloo would be on top of that list. If you would like to go into Finance.. Ivey would be on top of that list.

As for McGill's IM program, if you get in you're pretty set because those students have a bunch of networking opportunities.. but it takes 10 students per year, so it's definitely competitive.

Keep in mind, the cut-off is 91 so you'll be competing with extremely smart people and also Ivy League Rejects + Ivy League worthy students who would like a cheaper undergrad education.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
+1 (not too sure about the 10 students though, might be a bit more)

@dreamswharton wrote
Don't make your choices based on rankings. Each program has it's strengths and weaknesses in different business streams, and so those rankings mean nothing. By the way, keep in mind the rankings of business schools are only for MBA.. not for their undergrad so don't be fooled. For example Rotman Commerce as an undergrad sucks.. but it's MBA program is one of the best in Canada.

It really depends on which stream you're looking into, for example if you would like to go into Accounting, Schulich and Waterloo would be on top of that list. If you would like to go into Finance.. Ivey would be on top of that list.

As for McGill's IM program, if you get in you're pretty set because those students have a bunch of networking opportunities.. but it takes 10 students per year, so it's definitely competitive.

Keep in mind, the cut-off is 91 so you'll be competing with extremely smart people and also Ivy League Rejects + Ivy League worthy students who would like a cheaper undergrad education.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Heya Guys!

I just came accross some thing interesting and I couldnt dig up the old thread so decided to post it here...

i am an international Doing Alevels.
Mcgills entrance average is pretty high for Ontario students as you all know a 91.

So i searched these up!
Ontario
Alevel

if you check these out for Alevels they want a BBC as a minimum, compared to the 91 form OUAC students.

And on the other side when you compare to say Engineering they want a lower average from OUAC and higher grades form Alevels!

Why is this so ??
Any thoughts on the matter ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0