yconic - McGill Desautels Transfer
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Desautels Transfer

A photo of CeloBelo CeloBelo
I'm university student who has just finished 2nd year. My cumulative average (for both years) will most likely be at 3.7. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to transfer to McGill Desautels. I've tried getting information on transferring to U of T but apparently, I do not have the math course that they require, and to make things worse, they were saying that I will (at the most) get less than half the credits I have earned so far (in my two years of post secondary education).

So my questions are: Is McGill just as strict in giving transfer credits? Is my GPA high enough for a transfer? Do they accept a reasonable amount of transfer students? What are my chances? Has anyone walked down this road (first/second year transfers)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Have a good day! :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of LampShade LampShade
McGill is pretty strict, at least from my experience. I know a couple of people who have came from other universities who were able to transfer, but they all had extremely high GPAs (one of them was top 5% at his university). They kept some of their credits but I know one of them who should have been class of 2013 at his previous school who now has to graduate in 2014. (So he lost a little less than a year I think).

My other friend who had around a 3.7 at McGill also tried to transfer to Management but unfortunately got rejected. Apparently to transfer from from another faculty at McGill to Management is safe at 3.8 (even though minimum requirement is 3.4). To science (life sciences) it's safe at around a 3.9.

Good luck though! If you have other accolades to back you, then it should be hopefully okay!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
http://www.reddit.com/r/mcgill/comments/s9qy2/has_anyone_transferred_into_desautels_after_first/
Do you go to McGill right now?
Those people answered it pretty thoroughly I think...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yup. going into 3rd year. And yeah those guys seemed to confirm that transfering is pretty tough :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pkane88 pkane88
you might have a better shot at applying to western ivey (depending on your EC's)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. I thought a 3.7 (A-) was good, but not good enough I guess!
I thought I'd be safe with a 3.7, because that's what Ivey is known to require for transfer students. Already missed the deadline for that though, I believe.

I will try anyways, thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

3.7 is good! You'll be fine wherever you go :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote
3.7 is good! You'll be fine wherever you go :)

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0